Ben's Introduction And Another Wisteria Fertilization Question

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks everyone for your help!

OK here's an update on my Wisteria.
I finished slip-potting all 8 of them today, into much larger pots than they were in.
I'll just let them grow now, in hope of things meaning tbeit trunks more than they already are.
When the shoots get too long, I'll trim them a bit.
A few of 'em seem to have reasonably nice starts.
Here's a few pics:

View attachment 161817View attachment 161818View attachment 161819View attachment 161820

how are these wisteria doing?

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hello RobertB,
Thanks for asking.

I ended-up up/slip potting them into much larger pots, after I got them last year to let them grow a bit in “regular soil”.
They’re doing nicely, and they’re all loaded with flower buds.
I’m contemplating on doing some light work on them this year.

I took a few small cuttings from them last year too, and THEY’RE also budding. LOL...

I just went outside and took these pics in the rain.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking real good. I would let them run for a few years then slowly starting trying to work the into smaller and smaller pots while reducing the the plants down to trunks then re-grow the branches. I have three larger ones, i am working on collecting. I am taking my time prepping them for collecting. a 3 yr plan.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sharing a tidbit Bill V. Shared with me when I picked his brain on Amethyst Falls. He was making a few bonsai from these as well.
Let the branches grow for one season, then remove and let other branches grow. Doing it this way there will not be many heavy cuts to heal.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Sharing a tidbit Bill V. Shared with me when I picked his brain on Amethyst Falls. He was making a few bonsai from these as well.
Let the branches grow for one season, then remove and let other branches grow. Doing it this way there will not be many heavy cuts to heal.

Excellent, thank you!
This might be a silly question, but... When Bill V. suggested removing the branches, did he specify how close to the trunk they should be removed?

Thanks Again!
BB

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I allow for a bit of dieback. I don't allow the runner vines (which become branching) on more than a year as he stated. Wait a year...then you can cut them back more.

I may be doing it wrong...it maybe fine cutting flush. Just never tried. Let's tag @William N. Valavanis . See what he says. ?

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Any updates on these? I’m quite interested in these American and Kentucky Wisteria!

Hi ViridianGinkgo,
Thanks for asking.
I took some of the advice here, and just let them grow in those large pots that I slip-potted them into.
They’re doing nicely actually.
The trunks have thickened quite a bit, and there’s some nice natural branching on some of them.
I also did a bit of trimming/pruning along the way.
I’d like to start working on them this year, between my work schedule,
Being I’ll probably Retire at the end of this year, I’ll be able to devote MUCH more time to my passions.
Hers a couple of update pics I snapped a few minutes ago.

Attachments

• 4119D801-8F68-41C2-B318-9978DD81FB8C.jpeg
    4119D801-8F68-41C2-B318-9978DD81FB8C.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 8
  • E1198D4D-0780-460F-9AF1-B2FF90CCBFF4.jpeg
    E1198D4D-0780-460F-9AF1-B2FF90CCBFF4.jpeg
    389.8 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom