Berberis thunbergii atropurpurea

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I bought this little japanese barberry from my work yesterday. I was attracted to the caliper of trunk it had in just a 1gl container, and it's rough bark. It's budds were swelling like crazy so I went ahead and did a major cutback and repot into a cheap shohin pot I had laying around. It's got tons of feeders, so much so that I had issues finding the nebari and I had taken about 2/3 of roots off the bottom so I figured I'll find them on the next repot. I don't mind it's small areas of inverse taper it's kind of a narley little tree. I guess I'll see how it does. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Aaron 20160228_065534.jpg 20160228_081650.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Usually im not a fan of barberry but i like the trunk here, itll be interesting to see where it throws buds! also what did you use for soil?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

The shadow is telling.

I would cut the left trunk off.
Cuz they are 2 close in size to shorten one.
And to take advantage of that lil wiggle in the right one.

Either way.....as soon as you get a bud below those two knobs up top, I'd cut em off.

One trunk....

Score

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The shadow is telling.

I would cut the left trunk off.
Cuz they are 2 close in size to shorten one.
And to take advantage of that lil wiggle in the right one.

Either way.....as soon as you get a bud below those two knobs up top, I'd cut em off.

One trunk....

Score

Sorce
You sir just explained what I was thinking about doing in the future. I want to let it budd out where it wants then I'll be able to decide what to keep for good, and what to get rid of.

Aaron

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking that!
You got me itchin to go play with mine!

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was thinking that!
You got me itchin to go play with mine!

Sorce
I have a feeling it's a little bit to cold for you to be working on yours yet, he'll it's to soon for us down here, we're having an awfully early sppring. Which I don't mind one bit.

Aaron

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No no...checkers!

I play cards and checkers with my trees!

Lol. Nah! I just bring em up....stare at em...and take em back down!
I finally know better!
Though it's hard!

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I must but wonder why anyone wants such a miserably spine covered plant that must be wired and handled:confused:? Is this not a very painful experience?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I must but wonder why anyone wants such a miserably spine covered plant that must be wired and handled:confused:? Is this not a very painful experience?
Oh dude, I work 50 hours a week at a landscape nursery, the only plants that bother me nowadays are pyracantha and mahonoia.

Aaron

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't see any in my picture;) BRT thorns are nasty ones too.

Aaron
(I noticed ;)) I find the worst part is the tips break off in your skin and you have to wait them out. I can't see well enough to dig the little bastards out of my fingers.

Reaction score
Hey Aaron total newbie here. Just found one of these in a 5-gallon from Monrovia like yours at my local nursery, gnarly trunk like yours too. I assume wait until dormancy to do the big chop?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey Aaron total newbie here. Just found one of these in a 5-gallon from Monrovia like yours at my local nursery, gnarly trunk like yours too. I assume wait until dormancy to do the big chop?
I'd say it's best to wait. I've done lots of chops in summer but try not to once July comes, that way they'll have ample time to recover.

Aaron

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom