Berberis thunbergii ''Little Favortite''

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I like it, too!
I like Berberis altogether! Their yellow wood looks fantastic!
Have experimented with one and I find them hard to bend and impossible to keep the direction which I put with wiring.
What is your experience, Michael?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
MichaelS...

I recently got a Barberry again...
Shortly after I was reminded how Nasty the multiple bud growth bumps are...

Yours looks nice, do you deal with that odd growth any particular way to make it look nicer ?

Thanks.

Sorce

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes basically clip and grow with a little wire here and there. Their biggest problem is that they constantly put out multiple buds from the same place so you must constantly remove them as soon as you see them. @sorce, Sometimes you have to go back with knob cutters and remove...well the knobs. It's taken me many years to just get to this stage but the colour in autumn makes it all worth it. All I want to do now is increase ramification (duh) and round off the apex

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very nice. Have started two this year, the second was late summer so waiting to see it pulls through. Any pics of it bushy or in berry?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice! I also have a couple small ones but have been on the lookout for a much larger one to work with.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes basically clip and grow with a little wire here and there. Their biggest problem is that they constantly put out multiple buds from the same place so you must constantly remove them as soon as you see them. @sorce, Sometimes you have to go back with knob cutters and remove...well the knobs. It's taken me many years to just get to this stage but the colour in autumn makes it all worth it. All I want to do now is increase ramification (duh) and round off the apex

Excellent!
That is kind of where I'm at....
Rubbing early to prevent, trying to avoid larger wounds.

I thought that variety may be a bit less prone to it, because it does look nice and smooth.

It is quite typical barberry growth though you'd say?

These buds seem to have a very small actual connection point, for all the refuse that surrounds them. That ugly black crusty refuse!

I too would love too see any other pics.
Repotting notes, any other "BS to normal people" notes.

Love your branch taper...
There is a MichaelS specific taper.

Sorce

Tsukibibi

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everybody. Here is mine. It comes from a friend's garden. I grow it since 2 years.
First year : huge roots were cut and the tree was put in a large pot of pumice. He grows up freely.
2nd year : the tree was cut smaller and put in a new smaller pot with pumice again.
DSC_1813.jpg

With fresh mushrooms DSC_1813.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_1815.jpg
    DSC_1815.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 10

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Autumn update... The question now is to wire the branches down and make another boring ''Japanese'' styled tree, or jus continue to let it grow the way it wants (with clip and grow only)? I'm leaning towards the latter

P1120156 - Copy.JPG

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Autumn update... The question now is to wire the branches down and make another boring ''Japanese'' styled tree, or jus continue to let it grow the way it wants (with clip and grow only)? I'm leaning towards the latter
To my opinion, you're leaning to the correct direction, if I may say. :)

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm going to clip & grow mine fwiw - wiring & dewiring these is a PITA with their spines & their abundance of buds & growth habit means they'll respond well I think.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I always liked Barberry.The Crimson Pygmies trunk up pretty good.
Nice colors going on you got there looks good !

Top Bottom