Berries, Berries.....

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Probably no biggie to you Bonsai veterans here, but I'm pretty excited about it..lol. In previous years my firethorn has been getting at most 4 or 5 bunches of berries on the whole "tree". But this year it has put out at least 30-40 bunches and stiil putting out more. Can't wait until they ripen up this fall....Anyways... About a year ago I started feeding monthly as opposed to the twice a year feeding I have been doing since I bought it. So can I assume it's the extra feeding doing this, or just the "tree" getting a year older. And another thing, it didn't drop it's leaves this winter as it has done previous winters.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You fed it twice a year? :D:eek: Yeah, you're probably going to see better result by feeding it more. Once every two weeks full strength through mid-summer. Let off in July, begin again in mid Aug. until late Sept. or early Oct....

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You fed it twice a year? :D:eek: Yeah, you're probably going to see better result by feeding it more. Once every two weeks full strength through mid-summer. Let off in July, begin again in mid Aug. until late Sept. or early Oct....

Been feeding Miracle Grow all purpose, 1/2 tsp per half gal. monthly.....I seem to remember reading somewhere that generally bonsai should be fed twice a year. Sping and fall. That's why I was doing that. It just wasn't progressing at all, so I started feeding monthly.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um, don't know where you're reading that bonsai should be fed twice a year. If that's the case ditch the book--it's wrong.... FWIW, I think you may have misinterpreted--there are two seasons when it is appropriate to feed bonsai--spring and summer. You feed spring THROUGH fall

Traditionally, bonsai are fertlized every two weeks with chemical ferts beginning when the tree starts pushing new growth in the spring--older outdated books say use half strength--modern techniques now say full strength.

Fertilization continues EVERY TWO WEEKS through till Fall. Some people (like me) back off a bit in the hottest part of the summer on some species.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Um, don't know where you're reading that bonsai should be fed twice a year. If that's the case ditch the book--it's wrong.... FWIW, I think you may have misinterpreted--there are two seasons when it is appropriate to feed bonsai--spring and summer. You feed spring THROUGH fall

Traditionally, bonsai are fertlized every two weeks with chemical ferts beginning when the tree starts pushing new growth in the spring--older outdated books say use half strength--modern techniques now say full strength.

Fertilization continues EVERY TWO WEEKS through till Fall. Some people (like me) back off a bit in the hottest part of the summer on some species.

Good short basic instructions for using chemical ferts., then fine tune on a tree by tree basis, if the horticultural needs of a particular tree call for it, but for the beginner the first part(rockm's version above) is the important part. As you advance you will learn what your trees need.

Top Bottom