Best 100 Dollars you ever spent on Bonsai

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We need someone who does intensives up here in the northeast. Does Sergio do classes?
If available I would make the drive when I can get my schedule to work...+ there's a wait list to get in.

^perhaps @LanceMac10 could shed some light on classes schedule not being updated for 2 years.
I know NEBG was acquired by bonsai outlet recently, but surely they're still offering classes???
In the workshop tab you can + an expired cacti/succulent/landscape class to cart for $45 still.

I've had more than one Fall trip there, cancelled for a workshop on pines due to my work schedule.

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I got a Seka hinoki from him this year for $60
I’m tempted by the sekkas at eisei en, but I know I’m not experienced enough to own a tree that doesn’t back bud (especially material that expensive) I’ll probably save up for a class whenever somewhere in Charlotte is hosting one again.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’m tempted by the sekkas at eisei en, but I know I’m not experienced enough to own a tree that doesn’t back bud (especially material that expensive) I’ll probably save up for a class whenever somewhere in Charlotte is hosting one again.
Sorry for my misspelling. I got my 1st one last year from Plant City Bonsai mislabeled and get stuck on that spelling Seka, my bad.
They hold their interior growth longer than other hinoki do, but you don't want to dilly dally around for years deciding on a style
or while it grows out, as you say...they do not back bud. The golden hinoki I posted above post 33, was a cutting I got in a 2" plastic pot at least 10 or so yrs ago.
Bjorn has a very good styling video on a Sekka on YouTube :)

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sorry for my misspelling. I got my 1st one last year from Plant City Bonsai mislabeled and get stuck on that spelling Seka, my bad.
They hold their interior growth longer than other hinoki do, but you don't want to dilly dally around for years deciding on a style
or while it grows out, as you say...they do not back bud. The golden hinoki I posted above post 33, was a cutting I got in a 2" plastic pot at least 10 or so yrs ago.
Bjorn has a very good styling video on a Sekka on YouTube :)
I’ve seen it! In fact it’s what got me interested in them. No apologies necessary I’m a total newb 😅. Just took a deep dive on YouTube and this forum for the last two months learning all I can

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don’t know if my water sucked or what,but my trees always looked ratty at seasons end until I took this course!!!
I’m curious to know what you changed, if you still don’t know your water quality. Put another way, what do you do know that keeps them looking good?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have some nice trees that were only $125, but that's because I bought several at once. I have a Japanese maple I like that was only $75, and for trees around $75-$125, count on working on them for a long time before they start to shine. I think this price range is great for beginners because you should be able to get a field grown tree that will improve by quite a bit when you put in the effort and time.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
ANYTHING coming from @William N. Valavanis is worth much more than a hundred bucks. Easily.
Well, I guess my comment was somehow lost in translation or misinterpreted.
The meaning of the above is:
if you pay U$ 60 for one of Bill's trees, you can be sure it is worth the double;
if you can get a lesson, course, workshop, lecture, demo or anything educational coming from Bill for 100 bucks, it is surely worth much, much more than the hundred dollars you have paid.
As simple as that, you always win.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The best $100 I ever spent was toward an adjustable stand to do work on my bonsai.
It costs quite a bit more than $100 but it was worth every penny.
I have much less back pain working on my trees being able to adjust the height and stand up as well as sit when I need to.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Any suggestions for people giving workshops in the Salt Lake City Utah area? Obviously not right now with Covid getting worse here just wondering if I'm going to end up having to make a trip of it.

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

I was actually thinking the same thing. Picked up several books this year as I've begun learning about bonsai. They've been invaluable. Some for their technical info and others for inspiration. The more incredible trees you see the better and books are a great way to view them.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The best $100 I ever spent was toward an adjustable stand to do work on my bonsai.
It costs quite a bit more than $100 but it was worth every penny.
I have much less back pain working on my trees being able to adjust the height and stand up as well as sit when I need to.

Something for me to consider. I'mma tall drink of water, and that translates into the "Mantis pose" so the back takes a beating. For sure!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If available I would make the drive when I can get my schedule to work...+ there's a wait list to get in.

^perhaps @LanceMac10 could shed some light on classes schedule not being updated for 2 years.
I know NEBG was acquired by bonsai outlet recently, but surely they're still offering classes???
In the workshop tab you can + an expired cacti/succulent/landscape class to cart for $45 still.

I've had more than one Fall trip there, cancelled for a workshop on pines due to my work schedule.

Your best bet would be to get on the e-mail list. Pandemic pretty much "closed" them down for the summer. Members day would have been May 17th, or something. Headlined by Tyler Sherrod. Not sure they pulled that off. If I recall correctly, after receiving an e-mail regarding the opening in late Feb. I went to the site and they had many events listed. Not long after that, MA was shut-down pretty tight. Imagine all workshops were cancelled and subsequently "taken down" from the web site. Who knows when they'll have workshops again?

@John Romano is/was a member here, maybe PM as he might be more clued in. You can shop there in person now....😷

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any suggestions for people giving workshops in the Salt Lake City Utah area? Obviously not right now with Covid getting worse here just wondering if I'm going to end up having to make a trip of it.

When I was active in it, the Bonsai Club of Utah had frequent workshops by club members, and a time or two paid to bring in a professional. But I assume you were already aware of that?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When I was active in it, the Bonsai Club of Utah had frequent workshops by club members, and a time or two paid to bring in a professional. But I assume you were already aware of that?
I'm pretty new to the area and the hobby, but I definitely know of them. I Just haven't had a chance to get involved with anything since I moved here just prior to Covid. They've canceled all the meetings so far this year but there's a show coming up in October that I'm going to try to go to. They are limiting the number and spacing people so I'm not expecting to be able to do much meeting people yet either though. I sure hope things get back to normalish someday so I can start attending though.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Something for me to consider. I'mma tall drink of water, and that translates into the "Mantis pose" so the back takes a beating. For sure!
Tall people are a drain on the world’s resources. They take up extra air space and don’t contribute in proportion to compensate for this. Dark tall people are even worse because they absorb and re-radiate more sunlight as heat, thus contributing more to global warming than short white people, especially short white people with hats. I’m not advocating killing them off, but we short people of the world need to reconsider just how many we really need. After all, the world would be a lot better off with less global warming.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I resisted buying it for the longest time because its not cheap. However as I get older, it gets harder to do those long wiring sessions on trees bent over as you describe.
Of all my bonsai related things, that work stand is probably the best thing I ever bought, seriously.

Top Bottom