Best and worst bonsai for beginners like me.

Reaction score
I'm writing this because I have a non-beginner bonsai,( A Calliandra) and I want to help anyone else by putting out info, I'm curious which tropical bonsai make good beginner or not. A list of trees both good and bad for beginners would be very helpful.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The stage the tree is in is also a factor. Buying small trees that may be a more advanced species gives the person time to learn it as it grows larger and older. But if someone buys a already developed tree as a beginner without any experience. You will almost definitely need someone to help you with it and teach you the proper way to care for it. I don’t have any experience with calliandra. There is a lot of info and discussions on the forum about this topic of good beginner friendly bonsai. It’s also primarily about doing proper techniques at the proper time to achieve the results you want and the tree needs to live. If you do a search on this forum you will see these topics being discussed a lot. It’s pretty cool! Good luck and welcome 👍

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Chinese elms... super easy
Chinese junipers... easy with a little understanding
Japanese pines... moderately easy but if you don't know what you are doing extremely unforgiving

(edit - sorry I didn't see the "tropicals" description above. None of these are tropicals)

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you primarily interested in indoor or outdoor plants or both?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are you primarily interested in indoor or outdoor plants or both?
They did say tropical I believe.

Though if we knew OP's location that would help us understand if it's an indoor tree, or if they live in a very warm climate.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
St paul mn zone 4
If you add it to your profile, you can skip this question every time you post. 😉😉

I second ficus for easy and indoor friendly. Ficus benjamina is so easy it's almost cheating, but you'll struggle to get good nebari - those cool looking surface roots. They survive abuse and neglect by growing big tuberous roots under the soil that store nutrients. Tiger bark are very popular for bonsai. I just received my first one so I can't give you details yet. Those ginseng root ficus from the flower section at the grocery store are fun for the people who like them, but you will get picked on if you get one because they're generally not considered good for bonsai by the purists.

There are many flowering tropicals that are a step up in care requirements. You'll need to worry more about soil pH, humidity, grow lights, etc. However I have found that some people are more inclined to accept and overcome the steeper learning curve when there are pretty flowers at stake.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Tropical half-year indoor plant I like is Barbados Cherry, get a nice set of grow lights and monitor watering. If you can keep a house plant alive your good to try indoor Bonsai in my limited opinion. :)

Half year meaning you can put it outside when the outdoor temps warm over 50F in your zone.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try something between 1/2" and 1" trunk, if you have to buy nursery stock then do it. On a small plant you will battle issues with vigor, nothing to design, nothing going on, uncertainty : any larger and it may be too much $ for a first tree.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wonder what a tropical seed forest would look like at 1 yr. I have three new volunteer seedlings in the pea family that grew so fast this year. One is making pods at 2 months old!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are so many different ficus to choose from that it is daunting. Many make excellent bonsai. My favorite is Burt Dayvii nana. Tiger bark is excellent and Green Island is pretty faultless. If you are going large, Ingens can't be beat for its red coloration of new leaves, with rubiginosa a close second for color with leaves a bit smaller. Willow leaf is awesome with a fine texture, definitely a favorite though it is partially deciduous in some conditions. Morton Bay has small red flowers and great aerial roots. Natal fig is also great for banyan style, and the compact form has everything going for it. There are lots of dwarf cultivars of benjamini but I don't recommend the standard. Benjamini also has several variegated forms for those that like variegation. Many benjamini have tiny leaves, especially Kiki and Too Little. They are easy to grow but have some peculiarities like the stubborn habit of strong apical growth that prevents growing it as anything but growing it in an upright style. A new favorite of mine is Melon Seed Ficus but I had a few for 2-3 years before I figured out how to train them. They have tiny congestion leaves that grow in tight clusters and need a lot of nipping.
There are so many more to choose from just in ficus.
A few others that I find excellent in tropicals are Dwarf Myrtle, Escambron, Dwarf bougainvillea and standards if you have the room. Premna and Nia (Neea) both have tiny leaves and work well, and Harlandi Box is great. Barbados Cherry is great and there are at least two forms with different growing habits. Brazilian Rain Tree is always a favorite but be warned that many plants with compound leaves can be a bit more difficult. For succulents, there are many. But the standards are Jade plants (Crassula) and Dwarf Jades (Portulacaria). These are both pretty bulletproof.
There are ever so many more but these are some of the easier ones. There is plenty here to choose from, the ones to avoid are for another day.
BTW, I do have all of these and several more. I really need to put the brakes on tropicals.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Willow leaf ficus

Brazilian rain tree - surprised no one mentioned this

Also you'll have better success if you provide them with a grow light when you have them inside during the winter. Just placing them in a window isn't enough imo

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dwarf brush cherry are also bullet proof, and tropical. Scientific name used to be Eugenia Myrtifolia, and is now Szyzgium Paniculatum.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you have to travel, or don't always get around to checking plants to see if they need water daily. There are some succulent or desert trees that can go long periods without water that make interesting bonsai. Already mentioned is Portulacaria afra. But my favorite genus is Bursera. Bursera is a genus of plants that are also known as Copal or Linaloe, the resin of which has often been used by the Mayan and Aztec as incense and as an ethnobotanical herb. The resin has some topical antiseptic properties. I really love the fragrance released any time you touch the leaves.

Bursera microphylla, and fagaroides, and or just about any species of Bursera from Mexico. The species from Florida, Bursera simaruba, has larger leaves and is not as "good" for bonsai. The leaves are compound for most but are only 3 lobed for most of the Mexico species and are relatively small, so the usual issues with excessively large compound leaves are not a problem. These are arid land shrubs, and can be dried out between watering. So if you "have a life" and can not water frequently. During warm weather of summer, think the August "monsoons" that hit northern Mexico and Arizona, Bursera can be grown moist, warm and sunny. They will grow rapidly. But as soon as the weather cools, dry them out between watering. In winter, they stay on my windowsills, and often only get watered once a month through the winter. They will grow opportunistically, sun, warmth (above 70 F) and water like a normal houseplant, they will keep growing. But as soon as the windowsill cools below 70 F at night, start letting them dry out, as growth will slow. If you keep them cool and wet they will rot away. Let them dry out in autumn. Most of the leaves will fall, but not all. Then water only after pot has been dry a couple days. Larger specimens, more than 2 inches in diameter, you can stop watering in autumn and not water again until spring and not harm the tree at all.

I grow them in 50% crushed granite, 25% pumice and 25 % akadama. You can substitute potting mix for the akadama. In other words, the potting mix is quite dry and does not retain moisture. The crushed granite is grit for poultry. Make sure the grit you buy is just crushed granite or crushed quartzite, without oyster shell or "attractants" to get the birds to peck. Some grit for pigeons will have sensen or anise seed added to attract the birds.

These are great little trees, somewhat hard to source, real collector items. They make amazing low maintenance windowsill bonsai.

Top Bottom