Best aphid control

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have tried three things so far- squish them with my fingers, spray them off with water, and an insecticidal oil (neem oil).. They are always back within a couple days regardless of the method used. Do I need to go systemic? The trees that are getting at a kid- 2 Crepe Myrtles, 2 Japanese Quince, 1 Firethorn. To my knowledge none are going to have an issue with systemics the way some Elms will...

Any thoughts?

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I used Bayer advanced tree and shrub on my burning bush. It worked great. Note that it does take about 2 weeks for it to fully take effect. Just follow the instructions on the label.

RustyNail

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
do you have ants on the tree's if so that could be part of the problem. there is a lot of home made things you can try. also plant garlic and onion around close to the tree's aphid's don't like the smell of them.

before using any type of spray do a test spray on a small spot on the tree to see if it harms the tree before spraying the whole tree.
give it 2 or 3 days to see the effects on the tree's.

when spraying them off with water try using saran warp to wrap the soil from getting water on it if the water fall's to soil so will the aphids

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/controlling-aphids-and-ants.htm

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I gave up on home brews and treatments a long time ago. I was at a point where I was spending more time on insect control then anything else. After a lot of experimentation I now keep Malathion, Insecticidal Soap and Copper Fungicide handy. I use them all with caution but find they are all products that work for different things quite well. I strongly recommend use of Eye Protection and some type of Respirator, they are both inexpensive. In your case Malathion would give you great results fast and in dry weather will stay effective about 5 days before another treatment "if needed".

Grimmy

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I gave up on home brews and treatments a long time ago. I was at a point where I was spending more time on insect control then anything else. After a lot of experimentation I now keep Malathion, Insecticidal Soap and Copper Fungicide handy. I use them all with caution but find they are all products that work for different things quite well. I strongly recommend use of Eye Protection and some type of Respirator, they are both inexpensive. In your case Malathion would give you great results fast and in dry weather will stay effective about 5 days before another treatment "if needed".

Grimmy

Malathion has gotten rave reviews around here for some time it seems, but I never see it as the active ingredient in any of the products I can buy at my local nursery... Where do you get yours Grimmy?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I get Malathion at the local hardware. Mine is concentrated. Seven is another but I don't know if they can sell it anymore. We used both at the nursery I used to work at.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Malathion has gotten rave reviews around here for some time it seems, but I never see it as the active ingredient in any of the products I can buy at my local nursery... Where do you get yours Grimmy?

I use Ortho Max Malathion and here they sell it at Agway, Lowes, Home Depot and other places. It is a product I have never seen mixed with others, it is a very strong Systemic. I always wear a Safety Goggles, Respirator and gloves when using it.

Grimmy

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I used Bayer advanced tree and shrub on my burning bush. It worked great. Note that it does take about 2 weeks for it to fully take effect. Just follow the instructions on the label.

I actually got some of this today at HD- funny enough they had Malethion there today! I was torn, but. A buddy told me this Bayer stuff works great so I am giving it a try.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
The systemic Bayer has directions that are thoroughly cryptic. So how many Tbsp per gallon does one add to there irrigation water anywho?

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dosage is based on container size. My burning bush is in a grow box that is approximately 16 x 16 x 4. The volume is 1,024. Divide this by 231 and you get 4.4 gallons. Based on the label you would use between 1 and 1 2/3 tablespoons so I used 4 teaspoons. Remember that there are 3 teaspoons in each tablespoon. You use just enough water to the wet the soil down.

Attachments

• 20140809_181512.jpg
    20140809_181512.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20140809_181500.jpg
    20140809_181500.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 11

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Dosage is based on container size. My burning bush is in a grow box that is approximately 16 x 16 x 4. The volume is 1,024. Divide this by 231 and you get 4.4 gallons. Based on the label you would use between 1 and 1 2/3 tablespoons so I used 4 teaspoons. Remember that there are 3 teaspoons in each tablespoon. You use just enough water to the wet the soil down.

There is a liquid form as well

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I use the liquid form of Bayer systemic. And yes the weirdo recommendations say use x for such and such a sized tree, which is a big pain and clumsy. I am looking for a recommendation for what strength per gallon to add to my watering can so I can water a 100 different plants--anybody out there know a simple dosage amount?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't have the liquid so can't help you there, I have the granulated type of bayer, and sprinkle it on the soil surface in the early spring, it lasts all year. Instructions on that type say to use 2.5 tablespoons per 5 gallon container, so it's not too hard to figure out a reasonable ratio for the granules.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use the liquid form of Bayer systemic. And yes the weirdo recommendations say use x for such and such a sized tree, which is a big pain and clumsy. I am looking for a recommendation for what strength per gallon to add to my watering can so I can water a 100 different plants--anybody out there know a simple dosage amount?

It may be a pain but the concentration of insecticide in the soil affects how the tree is able to absorb it. The people at Bayer have figured out what concentration is needed to get the optimal results.

I’m sure that other concentrations work but I would bite the bullet and do the math. I feel the application of pesticides should not be taken lightly. Since the protection lasts for 12 months only need to apply it once a year.

I use the liquid kind.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
It may be a pain but the concentration of insecticide in the soil affects how the tree is able to absorb it. The people at Bayer have figured out what concentration is needed to get the optimal results.

I’m sure that other concentrations work but I would bite the bullet and do the math. I feel the application of pesticides should not be taken lightly. Since the protection lasts for 12 months only need to apply it once a year.

I use the liquid kind.

Bayer is tailoring its instructions for soil/potting soil application--not a substrate like bonzo soil. Therefore when You mix up a concentration (such as 1 tsp per gal like you did) and dump it on and watch it flow through its only makes sense that the concentration/application is essentially the same for every container long as you are wetting all the soil. Anyway, after doing some math of the various pot sizes and considering the porosity factor I have gone with 1 tbsp per gallon.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The bottle of Bayer I bought hooks up to the hose. I just turn on the hose and blast away.

Top Bottom