Best bet to get this old elm to root

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
We were working on a project last week and there were some scrub elms along the edge of the property. I have always liked this old bark but all of the trees were too big to dig and I had to take what I could get right away. So I cut this branch off of one of the elms since I liked the bark. I have had some luck getting some of this older, bigger stuff to root but it has always been in the spring. My question is am I better to just plant this for the winter now, weather is 60 in the days and now down to 40 at night, OR bring it in the garage where it stays 55 - 60 24 hours a day but the only light is from some marginal grow lamps? Any thoughts, what about inside my office for a couple of weeks at 70 degrees and north facing windows?

20181017_141143.jpg
20181017_141202.jpg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No help or ideas? I also could put a heat pad I have under it.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Sooooo, did you just cut off a branch and stick it in a pot?

And normally they grow roots like this?

Did you put rooting hormone on it?

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yep, just cleaned it up, rooting hormone and watered with B-1. Since has been put to bed for the winter. We will see what happens. I like the old bark. Thanks for asking.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Wow. This is so cool lol especially since I just found a bunch of full grown lace bark elm trees. I always walk past them like "some of these branches would make nice trees"

Yep, just cleaned it up, rooting hormone and watered with B-1. Since has been put to bed for the winter. We will see what happens. I like the old bark. Thanks for asking.

What do you mean by cleaned it up? Like kinda preparing it as an air layer at the bottom?

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I just trimmed up the cut, scrape the edges of the trunk some and sprinkled with rooting hormone. Stuck it in a pot. Didn't like the time of year it was collected but it was take it or leave it.
Will be interesting to see if it does anything after sitting all winter.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'll be curious to see if this takes. Normally you would treat it like a hardwood cutting and wait until it goes into winter dormancy... or you would provide humidity protection.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was out and checked everything last night. My previously potted elms are just starting to open some tiny buds.
This limb does not yet show any action but I would assume that it would maybe be a bit behind everything else.
Hopefully it will show some action in the next couple of weeks.
I know this is a awful large cutting but I just like the older wood look.
Thanks for the interest.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I was out and checked everything last night. My previously potted elms are just starting to open some tiny buds.
This limb does not yet show any action but I would assume that it would maybe be a bit behind everything else.
Hopefully it will show some action in the next couple of weeks.
I know this is a awful large cutting but I just like the older wood look.
Thanks for the interest.
Very much interested. You have me wanting to cut an old barked up branch off an elm and try and see if it will root!

Keep us updated!

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Very much interested. You have me wanting to cut an old barked up branch off an elm and try and see if it will root!

Keep us updated!

Same here. I never would have thought that you could do that to any tree.
It would open up some possibilities for sure.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well I knew it was a long shot. Finally today after no sprouts I pulled it up, NUTTIN, not a single sprout. I really wanted a tree with that old bark. Oh well, onward.

Top Bottom