Best bonsai pot shape for a maple tree (Mikawa Yatsubusa)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just a little to top it off, Fox Farm Ocean Forest (3 cubic) below and 4 lbs Fox Farm Japanese maple fertilizer next to the Mikawa Yats 😉

View attachment 459649View attachment 459650
I hope it drains well in that big pot. The larger the pot in relation to the roots of the plant, the more important drainage becomes. Particularly as winter approaches and plant is using almost no water. You have to prevent the soil from being too wet this winter. I would be concerned. You probably should have used a mix heavy in pine bark. When I used a few bags of Happy Frog potting mix a few years ago, I used it 50/50 with pine bark mulch.
Four pounds sounds like a lot of fertilizer to me, but I have never used that brand.

Bonsai Planet

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I hope it drains well in that big pot. The larger the pot in relation to the roots of the plant, the more important drainage becomes. Particularly as winter approaches and plant is using almost no water. You have to prevent the soil from being too wet this winter. I would be concerned. You probably should have used a mix heavy in pine bark. When I used a few bags of Happy Frog potting mix a few years ago, I used it 50/50 with pine bark mulch.
Four pounds sounds like a lot of fertilizer to me, but I have never used that brand.
It's pretty airey and drained surprisingly fast and I have it slightly off the ground with a circle of old 3/4 hose as a spacer, but I'll keep an eye on it
Thanks

Top Bottom