Best book for a beginner

AuBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is my first post and I would like to know what books would be recommended for a beginner. I have a few trees now and I am looking to invest more time and money into my new hobby and would like to become more knowledgable before I spend more. Thanks in advance.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I recently purchased Deborah koreshoffs book and haven't gotten through all of I yet but will already recommend it. It's definitely a great book.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think you would like 'Pines' from stone lantern publishing.The techniques and times to do them are tailored to our mid-atlantic growing region.That was a big help to me.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
BTW, it depends on what you want from the book and what type of trees you have.

I found that going to ABS book list is a good start. You are almost guaranteed the ones they offer are one of the best (or better) books currently available on each subject.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There are a lot of books out there, I have at least twenty-three that I can count on my shelfs just sitting here without going to look for those that may be misplaced. There are good and back things about all of them. The question you need to ask is how much knowledge do you have and what kind of trees do you plan on growing? Are you interested in traditional bonsai with temperate trees or indoor bonsai with tropicals?

In general the best and easiest book to understand is the Sunset book, I don't now remember the official title but it has held up for many years. For someone just starting out it is understandable and not particularly complicated or expensive.

AuBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I went to my library and have taken out as many books as I can and still waiting on. They were mainly basic overview nothing to detailed. I am very interested in getting more specific information on pines. One post suggested pines through stone lantern and I just want to know if anybody had any other recommendations besides this.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I went to my library and have taken out as many books as I can and still waiting on. They were mainly basic overview nothing to detailed. I am very interested in getting more specific information on pines. One post suggested pines through stone lantern and I just want to know if anybody had any other recommendations besides this.

That is a good book. Try youtube, there are lots of tutorial there. Videos can make things a lot simpler most of the time.

Here are a few...
http://www.youtube.com/user/bjorvalabonsai/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/bonsaieejit/videos

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First book, Pine Book

My first book ever was "Bonsai Masterclass" by Peter Chan. It's all marked up and abused. It got me through the 90's before the internet and being part of any club could help me out.

For Pines "Pines" from Bonsai Today Masters' Series. It is very specific to Japanese Black and White Pines.

If your just starting out in the world of bonsai, pines can be a little tricky. They move slow and sometimes people starting out want to move to fast.

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my first post and I would like to know what books would be recommended for a beginner. I have a few trees now and I am looking to invest more time and money into my new hobby and would like to become more knowledgable before I spend more. Thanks in advance.

For maples, I like Peter Adams books. I have two - Bonsai with Japanese Maples and Bonsai Design-Japanese Maples.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
My first book ever was "Bonsai Masterclass" by Peter Chan. It's all marked up and abused. It got me through the 90's before the internet and being part of any club could help me out.

For Pines "Pines" from Bonsai Today Masters' Series. It is very specific to Japanese Black and White Pines.

If your just starting out in the world of bonsai, pines can be a little tricky. They move slow and sometimes people starting out want to move to fast.

Pines are great but you have to sort of know what you are doing. Too many times I have seen a half way decent tree ruined because somebody tried to do a needle reduction regime on a tree that is more need of basic development. Any way I assume you understand that you cannot grow a pine inside the house, apartment or telephone booth---if you can find one. The reason I mention this is because of experience in helping someone decide on a pine or a Juniper and discover that they want to grow the thing indoors. If you have your mind set that these things have to be outside in the weather we're good to go.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
For maples, I like Peter Adams books. I have two - Bonsai with Japanese Maples and Bonsai Design-Japanese Maples.

I agree, not only are they the best they are almost the only Maple specific. I know of no others.

AuBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am a beginner but definitely know not to try to grow pines indoors or really any bonsai for that matter. I also am aware of the slow growth and years it will take to grow a decent specimen. I am going to try to get a local pine instead of starting a jbp and does anyone know of a book that talks about other pine species.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am a beginner but definitely know not to try to grow pines indoors or really any bonsai for that matter. I also am aware of the slow growth and years it will take to grow a decent specimen. I am going to try to get a local pine instead of starting a jbp and does anyone know of a book that talks about other pine species.

Art of Bonsai: Peter Adams. His book has a big section on native Pines and Scots Pines. Scots Pines would be a good choice for you, they are however not that common in the nursery trade. A good place to investigate would be a Christmas Tree farm, Scots are used extensively here and they might be able to tell you where you can locate some smaller trees for bonsai. Also if you have the inclination, they might have some old scrubbed out Scots they might be willing to let you dig. That's the way I picked up a Blue Spruce one year.

Top Bottom