Best Book on maples?

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi i was just wondering if anyone can recommend some reading material or a good book that covers all basis form development all the way to refinement. I just want to improve my knowledge on the subject.
I will scroll through all the posts on the subject on this website too

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
For Bonsai,

Bonsai with Japanese Maples, by Peter Adams (this covers Japanese and Trident maples)
Classical Bonsai Art, by Bill Valavanis (buy this one soon before it's out of print)

For cultivation and information on varieties of Japanese maples,
Japanese Maples: The Complete Guide to Selection and Cultivation, by Peter Gregory and J.D. Vertrees (now in its fourth edition)

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ive managed to source all but the bill Valavanis book i will keep my eye out as it looks like a nice book with great reviews. The other two will be delivered by tomorrow thanks again @markyscott.

It's for sale at International Bonsai. I believe that Bill ships internationally. It's a great book - I learned a lot studying the progressions documented over 5 decades from cutting and nursery stock to some of the spectacular maple bonsai specimens in Bills garden. It should be in everyone's library.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yep i will look onto international posting its a pricy book but if its worth it then its a no brainer. plus i love collecting bonsai books so i will definitely add it to my collection

I like it, but I learn a lot from progressions. You don't see many spanning 5 decades. One mans opinion.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yep i will look onto international posting its a pricy book but if its worth it then its a no brainer. plus i love collecting bonsai books so i will definitely add it to my collection

If you get it, be sure to check out the progressions of 4 kotohime bonsai developed as air layers from the same parent plant begining on page 40. The parent of all the layers was a cutting struck in 1970. The result was 4 fantastic JM bonsai. Really great stufff

Top Bottom