Best book or blog?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow! That is decidedly a long shot! That book is awesome and a collectors item, it seems. I’ve been watching for six months for a good deal on this item. It’s been running just under $200 US! I do really like Bonsai Techniques... by John Naka et al and got it for 1/4 the price a couple months ago.
Good hunting!
DSD sends

Claudinei

Seedling
Reaction score
I finally succumbed to the satsuki siren call, it's been after me for awhile now. I got a small one to learn on, so am looking for a good book and/or blog that I can reference, as I know these have their own ways. The tree that I'm getting is trunk done, with rough branching.
I have a good book about satsuki, I found on EBay, they have one more, you can write ( book azalea Satsuki) and you find that one. 0DE02B75-8B5C-4A45-82CA-F38D4933ECC0.jpeg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a good book about satsuki, I found on EBay, they have one more, you can write ( book azalea Satsuki) and you find that one. View attachment 339224
Thank you for this information, that book was gone, but my satsuki buddy in crime @EricMack found us a link to bonsai outlet that had them for $27. shipped. Hope it's a good book we both picked up a copy, so thanks!!! It is in English we hope?

Claudinei

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you for this information, that book was gone, but my satsuki buddy in crime @EricMack found us a link to bonsai outlet that had them for $27. shipped. Hope it's a good book we both picked up a copy, so thanks!!! It is in English we hope?
Yes it’s in English, I’m very happy with that book, now I’m trying to find a “karenko” or “Sakura” variety, if someone know where I can find it, please send me a message :)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
found us a link to bonsai outlet that had them for $27. shipped
Thanks. I didn't really need it but was intrigued. Just bought a copy from them for $27.90 including sales tax and shipping. Cheapest one on Amazon is $74.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
IMHO Floral Treasures is a good Satsuki book, very thorough in what it explains and does that well in most all cases. Peter Warren recommends it as the only recent book that gets close to the recent evolving practice. The only other recent book that is on the market is Satsuki Bonsai by Janine Droste.

That said, for a first book I’d buy Floral Treasures. It’s way less expensive and also more thorough, not to say that Droste isn’t good, Floral Treasures is cheaper and has more content. $27 is a reasonably good price too.

Cheers
DSD sends

PS @Claudinei Can you please click on your icon and edit your profile to add your location. It will help you’ve better information as you post on different thread.

Claudinei

Seedling
Reaction score
IMHO Floral Treasures is a good Satsuki book, very thorough in what it explains and does that well in most all cases. Peter Warren recommends it as the only recent book that gets close to the recent evolving practice. The only other recent book that is on the market is Satsuki Bonsai by Janine Droste.

That said, for a first book I’d buy Floral Treasures. It’s way less expensive and also more thorough, not to say that Droste isn’t good, Floral Treasures is cheaper and has more content. $27 is a reasonably good price too.

Cheers
DSD sends

PS @Claudinei Can you please click on your icon and edit your profile to add your location. It will help you’ve better information as you post on different thread.
@Deep Sea Diver yes, I already did :)
I’m very happy to be here with you guys I learn a lot here. Thanks

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes it’s in English, I’m very happy with that book, now I’m trying to find a “karenko” or “Sakura” variety, if someone know where I can find it, please send me a message :)
Karenko is a flower pattern form of Juko, as are Byakuren and Hoshi no Kirameki. You may be able to get one of them from Minisatsuki.com
Sakura is a form of Aozora/Hekisui/Misora. I have Hekisui cuttings, but they are more variable.

Oryu is still super-expensive even in Japan.

Claudinei

Seedling
Reaction score
Karenko is a flower pattern form of Juko, as are Byakuren and Hoshi no Kirameki. You may be able to get one of them from Minisatsuki.com
Sakura is a form of Aozora/Hekisui/Misora. I have Hekisui cuttings, but they are more variable.

@Harunobu good to know, if I find somewhere your Oryu I come here to try to help you. Have a nursery in Italy they always help me to find. I have a Kirameki. How old is yours Hekisui cuttings? I sow the flowers on my book and that’s is very beautiful too, I’m thinking to try to create a new one, I think that’s very interessante thing to do, I will choose 2 or 3 of then and make a mix and see what’s come out. On my collection now I have just 19.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Actually, I am not looking for Oryu. Just saying that even in Japan a cutting of Oryu is very expensive. Usually, cuttings of new cultivars are double or triple the price, depending on demand and how easy to propagate they are. But Oryu is still very expensive.
The unique thing about it is that it is a white flower with a cream colour. People tried in NA and Japan to create a yellow evergreen azalea. Oryu may be one of the best attempts.

Hoshi-no-Kirameki is not Kirameki. Hoshi no Kirameki is maybe the best form of Juko. Juko is a pale colour. Karenko is then Juko with both red and purple. Byakuren is then the white base flower of Karenko, but that lost the two colour trait. Hoshi no Kirameki is the sport of Byakuren that regained the two colours.

Ah, Italian in Belgium? I saw this Italian site: https://ilgarden.it/acidofile/azalee-rhododendron-azaleae/azalee-satsuki/
But they don't ship outside of Italy.

I have 4 Hekisui cuttings that I rooted this autumn. They are growing inside, though.
Minisatsuki may also put Hekisui or Aozora on sale, probably way larger plants.

Claudinei

Seedling
Reaction score
Actually, I am not looking for Oryu. Just saying that even in Japan a cutting of Oryu is very expensive. Usually, cuttings of new cultivars are double or triple the price, depending on demand and how easy to propagate they are. But Oryu is still very expensive.
The unique thing about it is that it is a white flower with a cream colour. People tried in NA and Japan to create a yellow evergreen azalea. Oryu may be one of the best attempts.

Hoshi-no-Kirameki is not Kirameki. Hoshi no Kirameki is maybe the best form of Juko. Juko is a pale colour. Karenko is then Juko with both red and purple. Byakuren is then the white base flower of Karenko, but that lost the two colour trait. Hoshi no Kirameki is the sport of Byakuren that regained the two colours.

Ah, Italian in Belgium? I saw this Italian site: https://ilgarden.it/acidofile/azalee-rhododendron-azaleae/azalee-satsuki/

I have 4 Hekisui cuttings that I rooted this autumn. They are growing inside, though.
Minisatsuki may also put Hekisui or Aozora on sale, probably way larger plants.
@Harunobu wouuu you are the big satsuki lover, you talk about satsuki very well, my congratulations.
the Italian nursery is that one

when I need some satsukis, if they not have it they try to find and help. And all trees I bought from them is very healthy.
You are in Netherlands, is very close to me, minisatsuki they had just 2 cuttings to sell, :-( I’m not sure but I think were hoshi-no-kagayaki. I tried to get a hoshi-no-Kirameki before but I do not found it, and found a Kirameki from a Netherlands nursery.
I’m very excited for the next bloom season.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ah, did I not tell you the same thing on Facebook, or that was someone else? Minisatsuki puts their cuttings on sale as they flower and they can check the flower patterns. They had quite a lot for sale last summer. Of course I don't know how big their operation is, but I get the impresison they are scaling up, not down. And all their cuttings sold out, so there is more demand.

https://satsukibonsai.com/ import their stuff from Japan, which probably triples the price.
Minisatsuki grow their own cuttings.
So the ones from Japan will be larger trees/bonsai.

Claudinei

Seedling
Reaction score
Ah, did I not tell you the same thing on Facebook, or that was someone else? Minisatsuki puts their cuttings on sale as they flower and they can check the flower patterns. They had quite a lot for sale last summer. Of course I don't know how big their operation is, but I get the impresison they are scaling up, not down. And all their cuttings sold out, so there is more demand.

https://satsukibonsai.com/ import their stuff from Japan, which probably triples the price.
Minisatsuki grow their own cuttings.
So the ones from Japan will be larger trees/bonsai.
Yes I think was me you told me on Facebook 👍. Minisatsuki it’s look like you said, they have a big demanding. That’s good

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Minisatsuki also say they have both 'Sakura' and 'Misora' in their collection. So if they keep growing, eventually some of those may be put on sale. No Hoshi no Kirameki though.
I got a Byakuren from them. They sold 'Misora' and 'Hekisui' in the past.

I like 'Hekisui' a lot, but it grows a bit slowly. Currently trying to get more varieties like 'Hekisui' by growing from seed. The flowers are a lot more sturdy than say Kozan/Nikko, but still small and with a nice range of colour/patterns.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Yes I’ve seen very small plants of Oryu in Japan for not cheap. And I can’t bring them here from there anyway.
@Harunobu good to know, if I find somewhere your Oryu I come here to try to help you. Have a nursery in Italy they always help me to find. I have a Kirameki. How old is yours Hekisui cuttings? I sow the flowers on my book and that’s is very beautiful too, I’m thinking to try to create a new one, I think that’s very interessante thing to do, I will choose 2 or 3 of then and make a mix and see what’s come out. On my collection now I have just 19.
That’s me that after Oryu . Like my holy grail...

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is probably possible to buy and import one from Japan yourself. But probably way not worth the money. Asking the right people for cuttings next summer, maybe? And then hope they get through customs.
Satsuki Mania does sell Oryu, including to the US (but I think covid19 makes it impossible currently).

It does surprise me though that the price hasn't gone down. And that there isn't a seedling of Oryu, or something with a different lineage, that is similarly yellow.
And yeah, you did pick a holy grail, alright.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is probably possible to buy and import one from Japan yourself. But probably way not worth the money. Asking the right people for cuttings next summer, maybe? And then hope they get through customs.
Satsuki Mania does sell Oryu, including to the US (but I think covid19 makes it impossible currently).

It does surprise me though that the price hasn't gone down. And that there isn't a seedling of Oryu, or something with a different lineage, that is similarly yellow.
And yeah, you did pick a holy grail, alright.
Agreed they are pretty impossible in any form right now. So far no one in the US that “I” know of has this particular Variety. I will try to get something going with satsukiM. Didn’t even realize they sold plants!

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Hey guys, I'm not into Azaleas actually, but I had just stumbled on this thread and wanted to help, if necessary.

Are you sure they don't ship abroad?
Did you write them? Because I (as a native speaker) haven't read anything such as this in their terms and conditions.

In point 7, I read:

"Condizioni e termini di consegna particolari dovranno essere preventivamente concordati tra il Cliente e IL GARDEN ed accettate per iscritto da IL GARDEN"

"particular delivery terms and conditions will have to be discussed in advance between the customer and the Garden"

Which leads me to think they do ship abroad.
Wouldn't bet my head on it but maybe it's worth a try?
I guess it pretty much depends on their definitio of 'particular' 😄😄

Top Bottom