Best deal on the internet for graded pumice?

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Whose got the best deal for graded pumice that I can have shipped--its always shifting around.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've bought pumice (and scoria) by the pallet from Wee Tree, but others will ship in bulk also. Shipping will vary by distance from Oregon, but all in (including shipping) I paid about $15 for a 40 pound bag. It comes 50 bags per pallet. So get some bonsai buddies together and split a pallet - it's the most economical way to go by far.

Scott

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Whose got the best deal for graded pumice that I can have shipped--its always shifting around.

Dallasbonsai.com IF you're spending $75.00 and over to get free shipping. If not either bonsaijack.com or weetree.com depending on the quantity you're ordering.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
As far as I know, Dalls Bonsai does not sell in bulk. They'll sell a 10 quart bag for $20 or so, but that's nowhere near 40 pounds. I've purchased soil and other items from them before and have always been happy with their service, but if you can buy your soil in bulk, you can do so for a fraction of the price.

Scott

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know if I'd really call the stuff from Wee Tree "graded". I've ordered single boxes from them a number of times and I always wind up sifting out a lot of fines. With their stuff you get a wide range of particle sizes which is good if you want that...not so good if you're looking for a particular size range. Their pallet deal seems pretty good, even with shipping it would be much cheaper (per unit) that way. If I could find someone locally to split a shipment I'd do it.

Haven't tried bonsaijack or dallas bonsai. Have bought from a couple of private sellers (through ebay and facebook groups) which is where you might want to look for the best price. However, all the prices are for the most part pretty similar.

Chris

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I don't know if I'd really call the stuff from Wee Tree "graded". I've ordered single boxes from them a number of times and I always wind up sifting out a lot of fines. With their stuff you get a wide range of particle sizes which is good if you want that...not so good if you're looking for a particular size range. Their pallet deal seems pretty good, even with shipping it would be much cheaper (per unit) that way. If I could find someone locally to split a shipment I'd do it.

Haven't tried bonsaijack or dallas bonsai. Have bought from a couple of private sellers (through ebay and facebook groups) which is where you might want to look for the best price. However, all the prices are for the most part pretty similar.

Chris

C -

It's true - with the Wee Tree material, you will end up sieving. Breakdown for Wee Tree pumice (at least in the last shipment) is:

29% is 1/2"-3/8"
33% is 3/8"-1/4"
37" is 1/4"-1/8"
11% is < 1/8"

I discard the < 1/8" fraction and use everything else for different purposes. The coarse fraction for drainage, the 3/8"-1/4" for most plants, the 1/4"-1/8" for finer root growth,. Turface, in contrast, is:

0% is 1/2" -3/8"
4% is 3/8"-1/4"
51% is 1/4"-1/8"
45% is <1/8"

Scott

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This was the best price I found on ebay when I bought some last month. There are several sellers, and their prices shift, so do compare. I found this to be wonderful as far as only getting the sizes I wanted, most of the sellers are not as good as these batches I got from this seller. Of course I'm not buying a pallet or anything, just several gallons of a couple sizes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250654715770?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judy, that's about the best price I've seen. Will have to give them a try next time I need pumice.

Chris

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's a good price giga, but it's not graded at all, so there will be some waste of smaller sizes and dust. The stuff I linked to was very clean and perfectly graded.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yeah I've ordered both places before, I don't mind different grades as I use all of it, but there both pretty good depending on what you want.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judy,
If that is the same pumice as in the Zelcova, I find it to be the perfect size.
Highly recommended!
That Boon Mix seems to be all its cracked up to be!

Sorce

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm looking for some too. Would 1/8 or 1/4 size be better for developing trees for feeder roots? I think 1/8 but I'm unsure.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm definitely buying some pumice from the seller Judy posted, but does anyone have a decent source for lava rock?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm definitely buying some pumice from the seller Judy posted, but does anyone have a decent source for lava rock?

On the east coast, consider Beam Clay:

http://www.beamclay.com/13 - Bonsai.pdf

As with the pumice, I strongly advise you to consider buying in bulk. You will save a lot of money. The 40 lb bags of pumice from Wee Tree worked out to less than $15 per bag total - including the shipping costs - when I buy a pallet. That's about 5 times the amount of pumice for less than the shipping costs of the eBay seller. There's nothing wrong with buying from there - the Wee Tree pumice flat rate box is quite similarly priced because of shipping costs. So I think your getting a fair deal, but you'll also save a ton buying in bulk. I split the order with friends and stack the bags beneath my benches covered by a tarp. It keeps fine.

Beam Clay will sell by the pallet as well. I've never bought from them, but I did get a sample and a shipping quote for a pallet. It was red lava and looked to be pretty good quality. Before shipping, a single 50 lb bag of Beam Clay lava rock is $9.85 - $9.38 if you buy it by pallet.

Not sure where you are in Northern Virginia, RR. But Beam Clay is in Great Meadows, NJ - about a 5 hour drive from Staunton.

- Scott

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks Scott, but unfortunately buying a pallet isn't feasible for me. I'm not a part of the NVBS due to a tight schedule, so buying online is my only option.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
C -

It's true - with the Wee Tree material, you will end up sieving. Breakdown for Wee Tree pumice (at least in the last shipment) is:

29% is 1/2"-3/8"
33% is 3/8"-1/4"
37" is 1/4"-1/8"
11% is < 1/8"

I discard the < 1/8" fraction and use everything else for different purposes. The coarse fraction for drainage, the 3/8"-1/4" for most plants, the 1/4"-1/8" for finer root growth,. Turface, in contrast, is:

0% is 1/2" -3/8"
4% is 3/8"-1/4"
51% is 1/4"-1/8"
45% is <1/8"

Scott
29+33+37+11=110????

Top Bottom