Best fertilizer for Chinese Elm?

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi all... Wondering what type of fertilizer (liquid or pellets/ brand) you all use for you Chinese Elms. Thanks

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To me,fertilizer is a touchy question cause' I really wanted to use organic fertilizer for my trees,liquid and cakes.I soon found out that my soil mixture is on the dense side with the composted bark potting soil I added 50% with my aggregate and the organic fert quickly clogged my soil.I need that soil,otherwise my trees will not last the day when I am at work.And I also realized I had to build a covered rain shelter to protect from rain in Winter(to wet,to long).So I have decided to use dyna-gro.I could only use organic if I were using a more open soil.
Update:I am going all liquid organic.All I have to do is pierce a couple holes in the top layer of soil and everything draines well.I am using Earth Juice and Bio Thrive from the hydro store.I am going to use it with every watering.Luckily I have a small collection cause' it is expensive.Earth Juice is from animal and Biothrive is from vegan.I am going to alternate with every other watering.

Last edited:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use osmocot pellets. It works great. You can find it at any garden supply store.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I also use a higher % of potting soil with my aggregate (at least I do now) because I live in the desert... otherwise the soil is dry within hours... even during the winter. Thanks for your reply... ill look into Dyna-Gro.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
ANY fertilizer with NPK and trace elements. It is 1000% immaterial to the plant whether it is organic, inorganic or whatever. There is NO mystery about fertilization, although there have been millions of words written to try to make it mysterious.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ANY fertilizer with NPK and trace elements. It is 1000% immaterial to the plant whether it is organic, inorganic or whatever. There is NO mystery about fertilization, although there have been millions of words written to try to make it mysterious.

Yup ! thats for certain.
ed

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks everybody.... I guess to much info and to many opinions confused the heck outta me!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have just recently gone all organic.I got Earth Juice and Bio Thrive from the hydro store.They are liquid organic.All I have to do is pierce a few holes in the soil and it draines well.The Earth Juice is animal source and the Bio Thrive is vegan source.I can alternate with every other watering since both ferts can be used with every watering.That is what I like about them.There is also Earth Juice bloom and is zero nitrogen and that is what I am using now ,along with some micronutrient.I am also using Earth Juice Catalyst.It feeds micro organisms and is also said to chealate different stuff in the soil for the plants.It also has a miniscule bit of npk.

Last edited:

bonsaiben

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I use a cold water processed seaweed extract by GROWMORE. It works wonders on all of my trees!! I fertilize once a week w/ it here in Tucson Az since it is so hot all the time. Best of luck!!!

Bonsai Joe

Seed
Reaction score
I use a cold water processed seaweed extract by GROWMORE. It works wonders on all of my trees!! I fertilize once a week w/ it here in Tucson Az since it is so hot all the time. Best of luck!!!
I am also from Tucson. Are you a member of the club? I read on the inter net that you use cold water processed seaweed extract by GROWMORE. I would to talk to you about it. My name is Joe Agredano my email is jaaztlan@yahoo.com

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I fertilize elms in training about monthly and twice a year once they are trained. A good healthy elm really needs minimal fertilizer, otherwise the leaves are too large, shoots grow too fast and internodes get too big....all things you don't want on an elm.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Smoke
Very funny you mention that.... All my elms are in training and have been fertilizing them about every 10 days at about half to full strength. I stopped last week because I notice much larger leaves spaced a greater distance on longer shoots.
I started using Jacks 20-20-20 which was suggested by Grimmy. I did see a improvement in growth... but think it was too much of a good thing.

@Bonsai Joe ... bonsaiben has been MIA since 2013

Bonsai Babby

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thread resurrection!

I got a Chinese Elm for Christmas and now I am looking at what food to use for it. From the posts here, it would seem the NPK ratios don't matter? Is that true? I can just use anything?

It doesn't matter if I use 5-10-5, 10-4-6, 10-10-10 etc?

Thank you

Bonsai Babby

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I was thinking of getting biogold but everyone in this thread said just get whatever. I would rather get a cheap one if it works just as well as biogold, and if it does not make any difference...

Micci

Yamadori
Reaction score
Im in los angeles Ca. I have elms, olives,jbp, willow fig and japanese maple. I use an all organic fertilizer on everything, nevimage.jpg

Top Bottom