Best I Could Do With The Roots

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I planted my trident today. Took about 30 minutes to work with the roots and visually only destroyed one root strand as far as I can tell. However, I couldn't do much with the clump at the bottom. It has suffered some waiting for me to plant it. Leaves went yellow and dry/shriveled some. Hoping it bounces back now that it's planted.

Picture attached of the roots.

20210409_094952.jpg

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Isilwen you might get better responses if you keep to one of your threads, I think you have 4 going now. You can keep updating the first one with each update, so we can all have context for each new update you share with us

@Bonsai Nut could you combine all of OP’s threads?

I'm sorry. I'm, used to other non-bonsai forums that I am on, and if you add to an existing thread, nine times out of ten no one responds to it if it's been a couple of days.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
In the future, Just know healthy tridents can have 90% of the roots removed. Work on getting it healthy and growing momentum, and next year you will want to remove almost everything that isnt growing sideways (all downward roots)

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Would that be the more wood-like brown roots?
yes, any of the thick heavy tap roots growing down. On your tree those are the heavy ones that are basically an extension of the trunk under the tree. You want to keep the smaller lateral roots that radiate outwards from the sides of the trunk, preferably all on the same plane. That may mean cutting off some of the very lowest part of the trunk, where it tapers/splits into those heavy roots

DFBAC5A2-DAB2-49EC-ADE3-5F847981DD47.jpeg
D4E4C14D-A034-427C-81A1-AC696942D3D0.jpeg

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
yes, any of the thick heavy tap roots growing down. On your tree those are the heavy ones that are basically an extension of the trunk under the tree. You want to keep the smaller lateral roots that radiate outwards from the sides of the trunk, preferably all on the same plane. That may mean cutting off some of the very lowest part of the trunk, where it tapers/splits into those heavy roots

Awesome! Thank you for the diagrams as that really helps me to visualize what you mean. Hoping it bounces back!

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would that be the more wood-like brown roots?
Yes, if you're planning to go into a shallow pot, then you have to remove all those carrots and leave the finer roots spreading from the base. You have some nice roots to consider a root over rock, if you want to go that way with it.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes, if you're planning to go into a shallow pot, then you have to remove all those carrots and leave the finer roots spreading from the base. You have some nice roots to consider a root over rock, if you want to go that way with it.

No, I wasn't planning for that.

Hoping for something close to this, but that may not be a possibility either.

914U4u1yNWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Have to see how it does this year. I am concerned about it since it looks kinda pitiful right now. I received it on Tuesday, but couldn't plant it till today in its big growth pot.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was leafed out when you repotted and it's not a good time to bareroot deciduous trees. Trident maple are quite resilient and hardy trees and can take some serious abuse and bounce right back. Give it some shade and keep it well watered. Tridents are thirstier than the palmatums. She should bounce right back.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It was leafed out when you repotted and it's not a good time to bareroot deciduous trees. Trident maple are quite resilient and hardy trees and can take some serious abuse and bounce right back. Give it some shade and keep it well watered. Tridents are thirstier than the palmatums. She should bounce right back.

Crap, I have it in the sun. It will be shady here in about an hour.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I collected a bunch of trident seedlings (all around 1-2 years old) in late spring last year, fully leaves out and completely bare rooted. I planted them in my parents back garden in the hopes of leaving them there for a few years to thicken up. A month later I had to dig them back up due to maintenance that had to happen in that area. I dug them up again, basically bare rooted and potted them up. They sulked for a bit and then really shot off! They’re all looking great now. Tridents are very resilient!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have also root pruned tridents well after leaves are open, including some really radical root reductions. They often drop all the existing leaves but sprout new ones a few weeks later.

I actually out all repotted trees straight back where they live. No shade for my trees after repotting. New leaves that open in the shade will be adapted to shade. When you move the tree back to sun those leaves will burn.
If you must put a repotted tree in shade make sure it is only there for a few days or maybe up to a week?

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
They often drop all the existing leaves but sprout new ones a few weeks later.

I didn't do any root pruning, but all the leaves are now dry and shriveled. I hope this will bounce back! I did out it in the sun on my balcony.

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I did note that you had not cut roots while transplanting this so I feel it has even more chance of bouncing back. Just having roots out of soil for a while is not a problem. Even having sun on bare roots is not a drama. It only becomes a problem when the roots dry out significantly. I frequently have roots exposed to the air for an hour or so with no problems.

Your original post said
It has suffered some waiting for me to plant it.
Is this referring to 30 minutes with roots in the air or the time between you receiving it and actually transplanting to a pot? either way, provided the roots have not dried out it should be OK. Even if the roots did get a bit dry this is a trident maple. They have the ability to grow new roots from any living parts of the roots so even if some parts of the root system have dried it should be able to regrow from the live parts.
Just water well and provide normal care and keep fingers crossed. It can take several weeks for new shoots to start so be patient.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
the time between you receiving it and actually transplanting to a pot?

Would be this. I received it on Monday and transplanted it yesterday. I kept the roots in the cellophane wrapping and the soil they were in the whole time.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Would be this. I received it on Monday and transplanted it yesterday. I kept the roots in the cellophane wrapping and the soil they were in the whole time.
OK. That would not normally be a problem provided the roots have some moisture in the wrap. I frequently send tridents bare root with the roots wrapped in damp newspaper and a plastic bag. Those ones don't even have any soil at all. They can live like that for a few weeks if necessary provided the roots do not get dry inside the bag.
My preferred temporary storage for bare root trees is to put the roots in a pot or some container and just cover the roots with damp material - potting soil, garden soil, wet sawdust, peat, etc. Just enough to keep the roots damp while the tree waits for final transplant. The nursery trade calls that 'heeling in' when trees are planted short term while they wait for permanent relocation. It is essentially how your tree was stored - roots in damp soil in a container (cellophane? bag)

Add a photo when you see the new shoots growing so we all know it has survived.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
OK. That would not normally be a problem provided the roots have some moisture in the wrap. I frequently send tridents bare root with the roots wrapped in damp newspaper and a plastic bag. Those ones don't even have any soil at all. They can live like that for a few weeks if necessary provided the roots do not get dry inside the bag.
My preferred temporary storage for bare root trees is to put the roots in a pot or some container and just cover the roots with damp material - potting soil, garden soil, wet sawdust, peat, etc. Just enough to keep the roots damp while the tree waits for final transplant. The nursery trade calls that 'heeling in' when trees are planted short term while they wait for permanent relocation. It is essentially how your tree was stored - roots in damp soil in a container (cellophane? bag)

Add a photo when you see the new shoots growing so we all know it has survived.

Will do!

Top Bottom