Best I Could Do With The Roots

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You would do well to search for and read MarkyScott’s most excellent thread, “Ebihara Maples”.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
OK. That would not normally be a problem provided the roots have some moisture in the wrap. I frequently send tridents bare root with the roots wrapped in damp newspaper and a plastic bag. Those ones don't even have any soil at all. They can live like that for a few weeks if necessary provided the roots do not get dry inside the bag.
My preferred temporary storage for bare root trees is to put the roots in a pot or some container and just cover the roots with damp material - potting soil, garden soil, wet sawdust, peat, etc. Just enough to keep the roots damp while the tree waits for final transplant. The nursery trade calls that 'heeling in' when trees are planted short term while they wait for permanent relocation. It is essentially how your tree was stored - roots in damp soil in a container (cellophane? bag)

Add a photo when you see the new shoots growing so we all know it has survived.

Here is an update 40 days later from this post.

It seems to be doing very well. Started getting leaves pretty much within a week of me planting it. Below are some photos I took of it today. Let me know what you think.

20210520_121158.jpg

20210520_121214.jpg

20210520_121149.jpg

20210520_121214.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Looks happy and healthy but that's not surprising because it is a trident maple.

Does it live indoors all the time? That could be an issue long term as very few trees can tolerate conditions inside a house for long periods. If you need an indoor bonsai try ficus.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks happy and healthy but that's not surprising because it is a trident maple.

Does it live indoors all the time? That could be an issue long term as very few trees can tolerate conditions inside a house for long periods. If you need an indoor bonsai try ficus.

It is out on my south facing balcony.

Top Bottom