Best Japanese Maple?

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It's that time of year all the local nursery and box stores in my area (Delaware) are having 50%-75% off their stock. My question is what are the opinions of everyone here on what type to look for?

I know they are all raised as yard trees with straight trunks that have been grafted onto the stump of some other maple. I'm fine with that. My plan would be to air layer the tree anyway.
It's hard to turn down a tree that was once $100+ that is now only $25.
I picked up a 2gal yew (taxus x media) with a decent 1.5" trunk for $8.95 yesterday.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So many cultivars makes this a difficult question without knowing what options are available at the store. In general, weeping and dissectum varieties aren't great bonsai candidates, bloodgood have larger leaves and coarse ramification. Since you're planning to layer whatever you buy, find something with small leaves and short internodes, and a few stocky branches to provide you with some options to create layers from without having to grow it out for a few years longer first. Happy hunting.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks Brian.
I know it's hard to give a suggestion with the dozens of choices (if not more) and thanks for the advise. Looking for something with nice branches is exactly what I was planning to do then air layer below one to start the new trunk and first branch. That's the only way to make a yard tree have any type of trunk character.

I wasn't sure if maybe some other people might have been looking at what box stores have to offer since they all stock similar things. As for that goes maybe some other type of tree/bush one might find there.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
as far as Acer P. goes in the box stores .... it will depend on the location... and Delaware being cold I presume a lot of what you will see is the truly hardy stuff...

regular Acer P. (if you can find it) is truly great... its easy to work with and is the root stock for most of the grafts... I like seiryu personally (an upright green dissectum) but you don't see them as bonsai.... (I'm going to layer mine this spring and hope to create a few bonsai from it)....
truly quality bonsai varieties are [pardon my spelling]...
Kiyo hime, beni hime , kotohime, oshio beni, otohime, shishigashira and essentially any dwarf variety.... I have a Kotohime that has a 4-5" trunk it is a wonderful tree and makes me happy every time I see it....

good luck !!!

Top Bottom