Best method for an Azalea graft?

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
I picked up this Ichiban Boshi satsuki back in 2018, I bought it for the trunk and spent the next three years getting rid of two massive thick straight branches that supported all of the foliage on the tree. I’m pretty happy with the progress (still has a way to go) but would love to graft a branch into the trunk.
The red line and circle is where I’d like to have the graft. It’s above a branch I removed (I cut it back and left a nub hoping I would get some budding from it. I never did so I just removed it last year)
58E448F9-B3EB-4393-ACE8-75C095145540.jpeg
5B0FF4FB-7AF8-42C2-B5E1-5FC4FC3FA0EF.jpeg
What do you all think would be the best method? My grafting experience is slim to none, but I would feel most comfortable doing an approach graft. Thoughts?

2018:BD3E2A2C-120D-49BE-AA39-B2C7F92E1731.jpeg
Most recent picture
207B4212-7C9C-4586-AF89-68601CE0DDC0.jpeg
Going for a semi cascade. I want to fix the C shape in the canopy soon. I have a branch I’m going to cut back to but I’m waiting for it to gain a bit more foliage before I remove the rest.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Really consider whether you really need more branches in there. I think another branch would be too crowded, especially after it ramifies. I've spent years carefully cultivation branches to densify my bonsai only to discover when they all grow that the trees are way too crowded and then having to take off all that work to leave some room for air and sunlight.

I have never had the need to graft azalea but I'd use approach graft if I did need to. Approach graft relies the scion being alive for as long as it takes to unite so almost foolproof.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agreed. I think you should bend the shoot coming off at the top part of your C downward to fill that space. That would also minimize the C look.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you really need a branch there take a cutting to grow out as a thin whip and thread graft it. It would probably take 2 or 3 seasons to take.

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks @Shibui, @Pitoon, and @VAFisher! I’ll take the slow approach. Start some cuttings let them grow and see how I’m feeling in a year or two. It is a pretty small tree, I could definitely see myself ending up with more branches than I need. Worst case scenario I have more azaleas!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
PM @River's Edge .

Frank has lots of experience thread grafting azaleas. He’s described his process in a couple threads here. Personally I’d grow out and wire a couple shoots off of the tree if there ones nearby.

If not @Pitoon ‘s suggestion would apply.

In my experience, cuttings taken now, on a heat mat under lights in a space like my garage would be ready in Spring. Yet you are in Sacramento, so you likely might not need all that paraphernalia! 😉

But I would recommend growing 1/2 dozen cuttings, just in case.

cheers
DSD sends

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
PM @River's Edge .

Frank has lots of experience thread grafting azaleas. He’s described his process in a couple threads here. Personally I’d grow out and wire a couple shoots off of the tree if there ones nearby.

In my experience, cuttings taken now, on a heat mat under lights in a space like my garage would be ready in Spring. Yet you are in Sacramento, so you likely might not need all that paraphernalia! 😉

cheers
DSD sends
Great thanks @Deep Sea Diver !

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
PM @River's Edge .

cheers
DSD sends
Both methods work well. The easier from my experience is using cuttings from the same tree and training them as whips for thread grafting. It is easier to position and fasten the small pots without having to bend the scion so much. Because azalea are somewhat brittle and more difficult to turn and re position for thread grafting from an extension on the mother plant.
The other reason why it is a better approach is that you can prepare multiple scions at the same time in case you break one during the attempted graft.
I also prefer the ease of healing the entrance and exit with thread grafting compared to approach grafting the traditional method. Here is what the completed thread grafts can look like, with the lowest branch the latest graft. All the branches on this trunk were thread grafted as I started with a very tall landscape plant that had an interesting lower trunk. In the second picture you can see the support wire to help protect against accidental breakage initially as well as begin positioning for pad development. The third picture shows the cutting in the pot as it was positioned for the last graft. I usually leave the graft in place for two seasons before separating. But I begin wiring as part of the thread grafting process, that also aids in securing tightly the thread graft from movement in addition to protecting somewhat from breakage. Hope the picture help explain the process.

Attachments

• IMG_0790.JPG
    IMG_0790.JPG
    333 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0789.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1477.jpeg
    IMG_1477.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 22

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know this is a crazy question but can you thread graft using 2 close plants?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know this is a crazy question but can you thread graft using 2 close plants?
If you mean separate older plants, yes if they are compatible. It is better if the thread graft material is identical to the host plant. That is why it is suggested to grow out a branch or work from cuttings of the plant to be grafted.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was thinking a white gumpo grafted with one pink gumpo limb

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was thinking a white gumpo grafted with one pink gumpo limb
This should be absolutely no problem. Pink Gumpo is a flower sport of (White) Gumpo. [also called Gunpo]

In fact: Pink Gumpo, Rose Gumpo, Fancy Gumpo, Tuki Gumpo, Gunbi, and Gunrei are all sports of Gumpo. So graft away!

cheers
DSD sends

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Back in the days, the Japanese used to graft many different varieties onto one tree, to get flower variations.

Not sure when something is not 'compatible'. I assume you can graft anything on anything, and the problem comes when plant vigor is not the same.

Top Bottom