Best Minnesota/Wisconsin trees for bonsai

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Go with the Pride of Minnesota, the 'St. Croix' American elm propagated from a DED-resistant tree in Afton.

That way you don't have to worry about getting (or spreading) DED. Or just put a mask on it.

Eh... my Elms aren’t large enough to worry about DED.

;)

But that IS a neat cultivar..

I zeroed in on David’s Elm for this same reason... only to find out that “little trees” don’t attract the right beetles.. simply because they don’t have enough wood.

It’s down at the bottom.

🤓

Agriff

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
When is the best time for deciduous yamadori hunting around these parts? I'm in Minneapolis. I'm guessing it's too late in the season already?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Gotta go when the tree’s reserves are in “limbo”.. bouncing back and forth from ABOVE the ground mirror, to BELOW.. and back.. and forth...Basically when the “syrup” is movin’ 🤣🤣

For me (us cold folks) it’s best done before half bud-swell... 3/4 burst: less ideal.... if it’s burst:it’s PAST ideal.

Due to frozen soil issues.. and buds ending up PAST “half-burst“ by the time I CAN dig.... I am beginning to shift towards Autumn Collection, after leaf-drop BEGINS... but before it’s “nude-tree central”... (notice, ALSO when the tree is in “limbo”).. it is easier up here, in the Arctic Circle! 🤓🤦🏽‍♂️

Agriff

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
when the tree’s reserves are in “limbo”.. bouncing back and forth from ABOVE the ground mirror, to BELOW.. and back.. and forth...Basically when the “syrup” is movin’
I've never heard it described that way before- that makes total sense!

Due to frozen soil issues.. and buds ending up PAST “half-burst“ by the time I CAN dig
This is what I have been worried about! The ground stays frozen here for so long

after leaf-drop BEGINS... but before it’s “nude-tree central”
Awesome!! I am excited to dig up a few things this fall. I'm starting my collection from scratch- basically just have a few buckthorns from the yard, so it will be nice to fill things out!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

This is what I have been worried about! The ground stays frozen here for so long

Awesome!! I am excited to dig up a few things this fall. I'm starting my collection from scratch- basically just have a few buckthorns from the yard, so it will be nice to fill things out!
Nice!

I like Buckthorns! They are.. misunderstood, I believe.

I like Fall collection, Also.. because identification is easier 🤣. And you have all summer to hunt/seek out “choice” specimens.

I ended up collecting light this spring anyways.. (only like 2 Picea Abies , 1 Picea Gluauca 1 Elaeagnus 3 Thujas 1 Beech 1 Cratageus And a lil’ oriental bittersweet I found in a cinder block I was using for my kiln)... but the difficulties just seemed to outweigh the advantages.

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

How close are you to state/public land. (GOTTA point out that when I initially typed this, I misspelled “public land” in an oh-so-hilarious way! 🤓)

Wisconsin is VERY “lax” on collecting.. permits (per tree) are DIRT CHEAP and 7/10 times... not even necessary... ESPECIALLY adventitious “invasives” like Elaeagnus or Buckthorn... the DNR WANTS them gone.

Opening at least mild lines of communication with YOUR (area’s) Warden(s) and local property managers of locations you frequent is WISE...

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected some small red and amur maple with leaves, Birch. Higher success rate with younger stuff in leaf. Bigger stuff I got this year is still alive, but you won't know for sure until next year. Collected a bunch in leaf this year, but wasn't very far along . Here's one I got about 3 weeks ago . This picture was about a week ago20210513_202956.jpg

Agriff

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Opening at least mild lines of communication with YOUR (area’s) Warden(s) and local property managers of locations you frequent is WISE...
I've been working on that! Not sure I'm having very much success, but I'm hopeful I can make some headway if I can just speak to the right person, so I'm going to keep at it. The problem is that I'm surrounded by public land and it's all managed by different entities, which means a lot of different phone calls. Going to bring up the topic at my local club and see what they've been able to strike up.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I've been working on that! Not sure I'm having very much success, but I'm hopeful I can make some headway if I can just speak to the right person, so I'm going to keep at it. The problem is that I'm surrounded by public land and it's all managed by different entities, which means a lot of different phone calls. Going to bring up the topic at my local club and see what they've been able to strike up.
Calling them WHILE you’re out there, digging a tree, forces their hand.. so they’ll show up. 🤣

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes, absolutely.. the public land has different managers.. they have.. “areas” or “stretches”

Charisma goes a long way.

🤓

Top Bottom