Best month to sow JBP seeds outdoors for my zone?

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know it’s a ways off yet but I like to plan ahead. I would usually cold strat JBP seeds in a refrigerator. However this time around I’d really like to try a natural cold stratification outdoors. All google results have talked about refrigeration and none specific planting times.

Any tips? Anyone else in Europe done them outside who could offer some input? @Wires_Guy_wires maybe?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I limit myself to the red pines from Japan. I don't like black pines anymore.
Have you checked the 6 year japanese black pine contest? Everyone started from seed, so there's a lot to find in those threads.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Sow JBP seed any time. I usually sow mid winter. The seeds just sit there dormant until the temps warm up in spring then they start to pop up at the correct time. Note our winters are relatively mild so there is little danger of killing cold snaps in spring. You will need to protect the seed from seed eaters. Mice, rats and others have made a living from finding buried seed since before we came along and they are very good at it. Cover seed pots to exclude any of the likely predators in your area.
Also note that I don't believe JBP really need stratification. Several growers here have sowed JBP seed outside in late spring and still had good germination with no frost or cold.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If I ever stratify JBP seed it is only for two weeks.
Lots of times just sew it and they sprout in a week.
I find soaking in kelp and fulvic acid over night really speeds this up.I have had them sprout in 4 days with no stratification.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I ever stratify JBP seed it is only for two weeks.
Lots of times just sew it and they sprout in a week.
I find soaking in kelp and fulvic acid over night really speeds this up.I have had them sprout in 4 days with no stratification.
Wow that’s fast! Thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Every month until you have the answer!

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Confirm. They start to germinate as soon as they hit the dirt, sort off.
So I would say, best off to sow in early spring, outside to keep the most compact seedlings. Unless you are off to start cuttings on them. Then the stem length i less imtportant

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
JBP seeds have started to germinate here this week as temps start to warm up.
IMGP9844.JPG
These were sown straight into the tray in early August (late winter) without any pre treatment and left outside on the bonsai bench for natural stratification in our relatively mild winter. Temps down to a few deg below freezing most nights.
I was starting to worry about these because it seemed to be late and the seed is from a new source - a very young tree so I was not sure about viability but they are obviously OK.
As I keep saying, the trees have been doing this for millions of years without our help. They know what to do and when so just give them the opportunity and let them do what they do.

Top Bottom