Best of luck to all members in the path of Ida

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Going off the rails again I see... This is a thread about a horrible storm not your rantings.

It's about the future too.

The rails.... directly to the future.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe it's because I am highly against "luck" in these situations. I came here salty already.

Please....please....please......

Do not have your heads in the sand and think your current government is capable of, let alone gives a shit about, evacuating anyone from anywhere.

Personal Responsibility is the message.

Yes, anger at what the near future obviously will hold for our friends. I can't help it. It disgusts me.

Maybe not so obviously prayers.

Love above all.

Sorce

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Maybe it's because I am highly against "luck" in these situations. I came here salty already.

Please....please....please......

Do not have your heads in the sand and think your current government is capable of, let alone gives a shit about, evacuating anyone from anywhere.

Personal Responsibility is the message.

Yes, anger at what the near future obviously will hold for our friends. I can't help it. It disgusts me.

Maybe not so obviously prayers.

Love above all.

Sorce
Got your message :)
One of my post was about the declaration of mandatory evacuation. When it is declared, regardless of what the government actually does, the additional living expense (ALE) portion of most home owner's insurance policy comes into play. The insurance company cannot dispute the fact that you have to evacuate. They will have to continue to pay the travel expense to evacuate until the local government ends the mandatory evacuation. Without that declaration, each and every day you are away from your home will be challenged by insurance company and rightly so because there are always crooks that try to defraud others. Having a mandatory evacuation period at least give a clean period that the victims don't have to fight to get reimbursed for evacuation. For this and this alone is my cry in anguish when the mayor of New Orleans did not declare mandatory evacuation.

Another thing to consider is the capability of law enforcement during the storm period. During the mandatory evacuation, police can establish check points as they wish to control traffic in and out of disaster zone to prevent looting and other crimes.

I know for a fact that some poor people will not evacuate because of the fear of the evacuation cost. Some of them are financially strapped, that additional cost could push them over the edge. Late payments for rent, car etc. can spiral a family into destitute. My friends and I have had to help out people in that situations. There were way more than we could help.

Of course we are just talking about Ida evacuation. The other situation in Afghanistan is a nightmare I don't think I want to discuss here. I made the thread for Ida here because there are many of us in this little bonsai world that have ties to Louisiana.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A mandatory evacuation is issued by the state or the local government, not the feds.

In this case it was the mayor of New Orleans, Latoya Cantrell that didn't declare a mandatory evacuation of the city.

Latoya is black so to say this is some plot to kill black people is ludicrous

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A mandatory evacuation is issued by the state or the local government, not the feds.
Yep. My lament was about the New Orleans' mayor not declaring mandatory evacuation.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep. My lament was about the New Orleans' mayor not declaring mandatory evacuation.

Yea they said there wasn't time. I'd imagine that it would take considerable time to evacuate that city. So rather than have people on the roads trying to get out when it hit, they might have thought it safer for most to stay in place.

Dunno how much lead time they could have had reasonably.

There was also reports of people not having the means (a car, money for gas) which would make it impossible or take even more time.

It sucks. Really bad situation to be in.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yea they said there wasn't time. I'd imagine that it would take considerable time to evacuate that city. So rather than have people on the roads trying to get out when it hit, they might have thought it safer for most to stay in place.

Dunno how much lead time they could have had reasonably.

There was also reports of people not having the means (a car, money for gas) which would make it impossible or take even more time.

It sucks. Really bad situation to be in.
My town set up a whole stadium waiting for the evacuees. Given the lessons supposedly learned from Katrina, we were expecting buses, including school buses full of people to come to our town. There were none instead! Now we have thousands upon thousands trapped and have to be served where they are. The local people in Louisiana are mostly not happy about that decision. The storm came in fast but still there were almost 72 hours. Yes there were enough time. It would have been tough but still could be done.

The funny thing is that even if the people choose not to leave, the mandatory evacuation period still allows them to get the ALE from the insurance without having to fight and prove to the insurance that their homes are not livable.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The funny thing is that even if the people choose not to leave, the mandatory evacuation period still allows them to get the ALE from the insurance without having to fight and prove to the insurance that their homes are not livable.

Yea after the risk to life, this is the worst part of it.
Bad enough to lose your house but to then have to fight tooth and nail to get reimbursement is more stress than people need on top of everything else.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yea after the risk to life, this is the worst part of it.
Bad enough to lose your house but to then have to fight tooth and nail to get reimbursement is more stress than people need on top of everything else.
I’ve done that for several hurricanes already and it was exhausting. After hurricane Laura, there were some suicides from people who couldn’t handle the stress.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got your message

It was not as sinister as it may have seemed.

I do not believe this is a thread about a storm.

It's a thread about our people.

May the ones who believe in Luck, luck out, the ones who pray be saved, and the ones who are informed by the passed tragedies, use that information to their highest benefit.

Sorce

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It was not as sinister as it may have seemed.

I do not believe this is a thread about a storm.

It's a thread about our people.

May the ones who believe in Luck, luck out, the ones who pray be saved, and the ones who are informed by the passed tragedies, use that information to their highest benefit.

Sorce
Pretty much what I thought.
BTW, a side bar to this thread.
A year after Katrina, a mega-star came to the Vietnamese community in New Orleans and asked for a few candidates for which they will build each a house for a show. The pastor representing the community politely said: "You are too late. The people who wanted to rebuild have rebuilt. The people who wanted to leave have left. Where were you when we really needed help?"
In the end, it is always about the people.
For here, it is always about the people who want to grow trees that appear old and mature in tiny pots.
There is a difference between wanting and actually doing it. :) Mine right now look like sticks in pots.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cajun Strong. I ain't really worried about y'all!🏖️🦐

Sorce

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Taken from the insurance adjuster page I follow.

Getting some reports back from people on the ground:

CURRENT SITUATION- Terrebone and LaFourche Parish are destroyed. I just starting crying when I found out how bad it really is there. Both parishes have been utterly devastated. Plaquemines Parish had levees fail - severe flooding. Kramer Parish levee failed - severe flooding. Jefferson Parish is without power and water pressure is close to nil because the roots of the uprooted trees have ripped out the water lines. Levees failed. Water level was over 20 ft in Golden Meadows - several people are still missing. Sewer and drainage has failed.
New Orleans is without power. Sewer and drainage is failing. Water is expected to be lost soon if not already. All 8 of the main power transmission lines are annihilated. The entire system fell in the river. Cell towers are down everywhere - this goes for the vast majority of Southeast Louisiana. No comms.
Rescues are still being conducted for Hammond, Harvey, Marrero and La Place. It's extremely bad and the roads to get in and out are impassable. Matthews and Raceland have downed trees and powerlines all over the highway. Grand Isle has a group of 40 people that they lost comms with and the entire island was under water.
People that are coming in from Texas in the morning- use the WAZE app. Lafayette is probably the last place you will find gas on your way in. Make sure you bring enough fuel with you to get around and get back out. Please bring food for the rescuers. They need to be fed and need beverages to drink. Use gasbuddy.com to find out which stations have gas and power. I have to get some sleep..I can't keep my eyes open anymore. Will update again in the morning.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The company I work for, sent a fuel truck down there last night. Should be there by now. Hopefully they will be of some help.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Taken from the insurance adjuster page I follow.

Getting some reports back from people on the ground:

CURRENT SITUATION- Terrebone and LaFourche Parish are destroyed. I just starting crying when I found out how bad it really is there. Both parishes have been utterly devastated. Plaquemines Parish had levees fail - severe flooding. Kramer Parish levee failed - severe flooding. Jefferson Parish is without power and water pressure is close to nil because the roots of the uprooted trees have ripped out the water lines. Levees failed. Water level was over 20 ft in Golden Meadows - several people are still missing. Sewer and drainage has failed.
New Orleans is without power. Sewer and drainage is failing. Water is expected to be lost soon if not already. All 8 of the main power transmission lines are annihilated. The entire system fell in the river. Cell towers are down everywhere - this goes for the vast majority of Southeast Louisiana. No comms.
Rescues are still being conducted for Hammond, Harvey, Marrero and La Place. It's extremely bad and the roads to get in and out are impassable. Matthews and Raceland have downed trees and powerlines all over the highway. Grand Isle has a group of 40 people that they lost comms with and the entire island was under water.
People that are coming in from Texas in the morning- use the WAZE app. Lafayette is probably the last place you will find gas on your way in. Make sure you bring enough fuel with you to get around and get back out. Please bring food for the rescuers. They need to be fed and need beverages to drink. Use gasbuddy.com to find out which stations have gas and power. I have to get some sleep..I can't keep my eyes open anymore. Will update again in the morning.
So very sad and hard for the affected people. I just hope for minimal loss of life.

Top Bottom