Best option to grow BRT in Ohio

Vietcu

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what no regular soil? I’m new don’t forget.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have it in its own soil from the nursery, looks like pine bark and some moss maybe. I’ve since added it to a slightly bigger pot with typical potting soil. I wanted to grow it out this summer so I’m going to put it into a much bigger pot with regular pot soil and not bonsai soil. I’m guessing I’m just going to let it grow for 2-5 yrs, the tree is small. Might not look like it in picture but the trunk is a little bigger than a pencil.
Well, good luck to you, I don't agree with using potting soil... Good drainage and lots of water = lots of air being pulled thru the roots which is what works for bonsai in a big way.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
what no regular soil? I’m new don’t forget.
Yes, that is what he's referring to. Regular potting soil isn't really helpful to develop bonsai. But if you've already gone there, and the tree is starting to put new roots out, then it's too late to change it now. I would suggest that you wait a few months for hot weather (they like to be repotted in warm weather) and get it into a less organic soil. I can't imagine having a potting soil tree overwintering in a house situation, you'll have bug issues galore I would think. Read up on some of the soil threads here for more information there are plenty of them.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll say this about soil. To not take advantage of the plethora of vendors offering pre-packaged bonsai soil is bad horse-sense on two levels......

For one, you take a lot of guess work out of the equation and can reap the benefits of using a soil mix that's proven to give good results/in fashion. It's popular because it works.
And on the other hand, your fueling the industry and hopefully become part of a wide consumer base which has a tendency to develop secondary markets and/or lower prices on rough material.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, that is what he's referring to. Regular potting soil isn't really helpful to develop bonsai. But if you've already gone there, and the tree is starting to put new roots out, then it's too late to change it now. I would suggest that you wait a few months for hot weather (they like to be repotted in warm weather) and get it into a less organic soil. I can't imagine having a potting soil tree overwintering in a house situation, you'll have bug issues galore I would think. Read up on some of the soil threads here for more information there are plenty of them.
And when I say a few months, I mean to let it run so that the new roots have a chance to get growing well and established before you repot it again. If it has not had a chance to start up, like you did this repot very recently, (like a few days) you have a chance to fix it and repot again now. There are lots of mixes out there to choose from that will be easier to maintain health than potting soils.

nrgizerrod

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How are you watering or fertilizing for it to be growing and be bushy? Mine is growing but, don’t know how one would classify vigorous. New leaves would get big maybe 2 mm a day? Not getting any new budding, leaves are growing at end of young new branch. I think I’m watering every 4 days or so?

I water it almost daily & hit it with fish fert once a week. Like @JudyB said, they are thirsty! It's also in a south facing window under a 4' 4 bulb grow light.

This is the day i got it:
IMG_1487.jpeg

Today:
IMG_1860.jpeg

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got one from Brussel's, and it was actually very nice. But I neglected to repot out of their soil (very water retentive) and I about lost it. It's still alive, but looks like hell. They sell them on Amazon and are on sale right now, free shipping if you have Prime. Wigert's also has them from $25 to $$$$.
Tried to order one of these today but Amazon says they cannot ship them to to my address! Very strange as I have received much bigger trees in the mail including one from Brussels in the past year. The explanation they gave didn’t make any sense. Maybe it is because it is too cold to ship them here still? And Wigert’s doesn’t have any small ones listed in their website. I avoid BonsaiBoy and wonder about the other company selling on eBay that says they import from China. Interestingly they use the same photo for all their different sizes. I may just wait and see what pops up in my travels over the summer.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Tried to order one of these today but Amazon says they cannot ship them to to my address! Very strange as I have received much bigger trees in the mail including one from Brussels in the past year. The explanation they gave didn’t make any sense. Maybe it is because it is too cold to ship them here still? And Wigert’s doesn’t have any small ones listed in their website. I avoid BonsaiBoy and wonder about the other company selling on eBay that says they import from China. Interestingly they use the same photo for all their different sizes. I may just wait and see what pops up in my travels over the summer.
I have actually been trying to order another one and got the same message. Couldn't be delivered to my address, so now I don't feel so bad. Maybe it is the weather, I spent a lot of time with them on-line with no real answers. In Wigert's pre-bonsai section they have some for $25.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Potting soil, no rocks. BRT 20190208_153919.jpgBRT 20190227_164400.jpgNice organic soil, lots of pine fines, one drain hole.

Vietcu

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6EAF3E0A-CC68-47F4-9839-5A88EA2B91C5.jpeg
Wow, what some weather does to this little tree. It was growing so well once I was able to move it outside for a few hours a day. I decided to give it some direction of where I want stuff to grow. So hopefully by this year’s end I can get some height added to this little guy.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mine seems to be still adjusting to its new home. Although it never dropped a leaflet after being shipped here, it still hasn’t really started growing. I have it in full sun and it looks healthy but has only put out one new shoot. Maybe once the temps get out of the mid 70s and the humidity pushes 90% it will feel more at home and kick into gear.

Vietcu

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine seems to be still adjusting to its new home. Although it never dropped a leaflet after being shipped here, it still hasn’t really started growing. I have it in full sun and it looks healthy but has only put out one new shoot. Maybe once the temps get out of the mid 70s and the humidity pushes 90% it will feel more at home and kick into gear.
How big was your plant once you got it? I’m thinking of ordering another, and hopefully find one that is significantly larger than the one I have now. I really like this tree.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got this one from Brussels off Amazon. It is 15” tall from soil to top of plant. This is essentially what it looked like right out of the box a month ago. Still in the same pot and soil from Brussels. Maybe it wants me to repot it into a more well draining mix, this one is at least 50% organic. I’m thinking of waiting until June, as I have read they prefer a summer repot.

38F09411-9C0F-4BD7-9A22-4D40530FB049.jpeg

Last edited:

Vietcu

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1CBE7788-0333-4A57-994F-DD5C90419BBD.jpeg2FE781E5-899C-43B5-8240-FFC6643BE424.jpeg
Big brother just came in the mail today. Wife not going to be happy. Tree is a lot bigger than I imagined, compared to my first one. Very excited to say the least.

Top Bottom