Best original authors tree.

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hopefully I understand correctly...

Here's my cotoneaster after I picked it up from Lowe's in the summer of '15. Unfortunately I waited until after I hacked it up to take the first photo.
image.jpeg

Here is that tree now. Still has some ugly wires and a training pot, but it has come a long way.
image.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I enjoy working on trees, and I enjoy working with pros on my trees. It's not an either/or situation; I'm pleased with my work, and fortunate to get to work with some of the best in the world. So I'll play.
A pyracantha I dug in MS in 2005, and a shot from this spring. It won Best in Show at the Alabama Bonsai Society show in 2015, and was accepted into the 2016 USNBE. All my work.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Hawthorn I chopped to a stump in 1999, and grew all you see above the stump. Won American Bonsai Society John Naka Award in 2012, and appeared on the magazine cover, showed at USNBE in 2014. All my work:
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Nursery stock Japanese Maple from Gary Wood in 2002. Showed at USNBE in 2012. All my work from left photo to current photo:
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I enjoy working on trees, and I enjoy working with pros on my trees. It's not an either/or situation; I'm pleased with my work, and fortunate to get to work with some of the best in the world. So I'll play.
A pyracantha I dug in MS in 2005, and a shot from this spring. It won Best in Show at the Alabama Bonsai Society show in 2015, and was accepted into the 2016 USNBE. All my work.
View attachment 118548 View attachment 118549
Hawthorn I chopped to a stump in 1999, and grew all you see above the stump. Won American Bonsai Society John Naka Award in 2012, and appeared on the magazine cover, showed at USNBE in 2014. All my work:
View attachment 118550 View attachment 118552
Nursery stock Japanese Maple from Gary Wood in 2002. Showed at USNBE in 2012. All my work from left photo to current photo:
View attachment 118553 View attachment 118554
Very nice.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Japanese black pine purchased as nursery stock from Brussels in 2007, and a current photo. All my work, documented in a 125-page picture book you can buy here to see all the years in between:
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Or another Corkbark pine from Evergreen Gardenworks, as a rooted cutting from 2007, on its way to a decent shohin:
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
How about an Ume? I took this to a Peter Warren workshop, who recommended the Shari line, but the work is all mine. 2011 and 2016:
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Root over rock trident maple, from a cutting I started in 2009. Attached to the rock in 2010, and a current shot:
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Now, how about a curveball? I dug this azalea in 2001.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Flew it to a workshop with Ben Oki in 2005, where we worked on it together.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
His design.
image.jpeg
Ten years later, all my work.
image.jpeg
I still call it my Ben Oki azalea, because it was an honor to work with him. But this is all mine now.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brian really has fine trees. He's set a high standard.

Here is the first cork bark Japanese black pine I bought, in 2002. It was 4 years old at the time and is a Mi Nishiki. The second picture shows it a few days ago.

DSCN1113.JPG mi nishiki 9-28-16.jpg

The second cork bark JBP I bought was an Ondae Semicascade, in 2010. Later, I made it a full cascade.

semi-cascade ondae 2010.jpg ondae cascade 9-20-16.jpg

Both of these trees I did myself.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I began constructing a clump of Utamaro flowering quince cuttings in 2006. This picture shows the clump at a very early stage of development. I enjoy beginning with cuttings and making something of them. First picture:

utamoro clump2.jpg
I had parts of this one die back, so I added more Utamaro cuttings. It was difficult to establish, but once established it is beautiful in flower:

ul utamaro 3-31-16_Panorama1.jpg

Since I took this picture, the pot has changed and the tree is a little more ramified, but currently, this is the best picture I have of the tree in flower. I did all the work on this clump.

Top Bottom