Best outdoor pre-bonsai under $500?

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sorry in advance for the long post. There's a lot of background info about me below.

I'm in coastal North Carolina, zone 8b, just one mile from the ocean. Summer temps usually peak around 85-90F (29-32C) with humidity range of 60-90% or more. Winter lows typically reach the 30s, with the occasional 20-something in January or February. For anything that can't handle those colder temperatures, our home has a large attic space with a big east-facing window that trees can spend the winter in, if needed. Also, our whole 2nd story is a large, well-lit bonus/guest room that we keep in the low-60's during the winter unless someone is visiting us, so that has potential as a protected location too. My Royal Poinciana and Blue Jacaranda spend winter there since they're tropical species and will die if left outside in the cold. They love our summer heat and humidity though!

I've got literally dozens of potted plants, trees and shrubs at our house, with 95% of them outside. None are ready yet for bonsai training except a Bloodgood maple, which got major shaping/pruning and wired up earlier this year. I'm considering buying a pre-bonsai now, in the dog days of summer, in order to start getting some serious bonsai husbandry under my belt. Even if I can't do any styling or shaping to the tree until spring, I just simply want to keep it alive and happy. Admittedly, for all my years of plant care experience, which includes a two-year stint as a landscaper in my early 20s, I have very little bonsai experience. I guess a good analogy would be like someone who's played the electric guitar for 25 years starting to learn the violin. Knowing the basics of music theory, how to read notes, and how to play a stringed instrument would be a good solid foundation, but there's still much to learn. I can tell you how to care for Bermuda grass, when to prune a palm tree, or how to get rid of bagworms on your juniper bushes, but bonsai is a specialized type of plant care I broke into only a year ago.

Anyway, I'd like to buy a quality pre-bonsai in the next month or two before we start cooling down here for the year. Budget is $200-300, but I would go up to $500 for something that was really special. Why so expensive? For starters, I want a tree with a decent trunk and several years of age on it. I've got PLENTY of seedlings, saplings, and young plants at home waiting to grow up as it is already. I don't need another one. Plus, a tiny, mass-produced tree from a big commercial grower would have a difficult time holding my attention and forming a bond with me. Sounds weird, I know. I always prefer to buy plants that are unique or have character, and could generate a special meaning to me. It brings more enjoyment from caring for them. I can tell a story about every plant at home that I've bought and why it means something to me. As a good example, we have a seven-foot Bloodgood Japanese maple in our yard that caught my attention at the local nursery last spring because it blew over in a stiff wind while I was trying to decide what tree to buy. It was literally the only tree that fell over, despite being in a 15 gallon pot. I stood it up and immediately took it to the register. Now I have an interesting story to tell about that tree forever and I love seeing it in the yard. Besides having a good vibe about a plant, let's face it, people are typically much more likely to invest time and effort in a tree that cost a fair amount of money over one that was on the cheaper end of the spectrum. I'm a self-admitted perfectionist though (as my wife would gladly confirm LOL), so price aside, any plant is going to get good care on my watch.

Trees I'm considering, in no particular order, along with a link to a specific tree as an example:
  • Trident Maple (link) or (link)
  • Arakawa (Rough Bark) Japanese maple (link)
  • Crape Myrtle (link) or (link)
  • Buttonwood (would be wintered inside) (link)
  • Japanese Black Pine (link)
I know the maples and myrtle would be heading towards dormancy here in a couple months, and I'm fine with that. Again, I just want to start getting regular care and maintenance experience. The JBP is interesting to me just because my other evergreens are more of the ground-dwelling variety (Juniperus procumbens and Juniperus chinensis). Buttonwoods remind me of Florida and would be nice to enjoy inside over the winter. Crape myrtles grow fast, are pretty hardy, and produce awesome flowers in the summer. Maples are, well, my favorite. I am an AcerAddict after all.

Thanks for reading this long post and some of my story. I appreciate any and all feedback.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing wrong with spending that if you have it to spend. I think a lot of us would love to do that.
On your list Trident pops out for me. With more knowledge and understanding of pines, it would be the Black pine. Also in my list would be Hornbeam, Oak, Elm and others. I think if I had $500 to spend on a single plant, I probably would not go searching for a specific plant, but would just keep me eyes open and buy the one that speaks to me the loudest.
Also, I would consider buying one from a member here first.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd get a bald cypress. It is a native coastal tree that evolved in coastal flood plains and can handle just about any weather and conditions (including cold by simply putting it under mulch for the winter) in your area. I would stay away from Japanese Maples in your area. You'll have to search out JM varieties that are heat tolerant. I have a full-sized Arakawa in my backyard. It gets full sun all summer and leaf scorch too. It starts dropping leaves randomly during the hottest part of the summer. Tridents should be OK, as are crape myrtles and Black Pine (which aren't easy trees for beginners). Buttonwood can be finicky outside of the tropics. I don't have experience with it however.

FWIW, I would buy a $500 collected Bald Cypress starter if I were to make a choice between four $100 trees and one single impressive specimen. If you don't like bald cypress, you will when you actually have a good one. They are tough resilient, forgiving trees that develop very rapidly into great bonsai. In your area, you will have very little problem with the species. There are more than a few great BC collectors down that way. John Geanagel, for one. He has a Facebook page and sells through there.

Also Now is not the time to buy stock online--however. Shipping in the summer heat can kill whatever you get. Best time to shop for stock online is late winter with shipping in mid/spring.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also Now is not the time to buy stock online--however. Shipping in the summer heat can kill whatever you get. Best time to shop for stock online is late winter with shipping in mid/spring.
I should have made mention of that. A lot of sellers don't even ship when its this hot. My azaleas will be shipped in September.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
this was around the $300 mark. there’s lots of options, from developing it as-is or air layering the crap out of it.

they’re out there, but i did snap it up pretty quickly after seeing it. i can’t imagine i’m the only one.

ive kinda realized i keep finding things because it seems i’m always there looking

5EE4CEA0-E2FF-41E3-8C70-09411CA2BFF0.jpeg

Attachments

• FE455CB8-CCEE-4FE5-97C2-78256DCFF6FD.jpeg
    FE455CB8-CCEE-4FE5-97C2-78256DCFF6FD.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 14

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ll second, well third I guess, the suggestion that you don’t get the tree you pick shipped now. I’ve ordered trees twice from a nursery in eastern Canada, and they will only ship in the fall or spring. Unfortunately they were swamped this past spring and the trees I had ordered arrived well into May. Spring here was well,underway, and a nice little pitch pine couldn’t handle the transition from dormancy to mid-Spring. 😢 So, if you want the tree now then it would be best to get it locally. If you can wait until Fall, then the world is your oyster. 😊

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd get a bald cypress. It is a native coastal tree that evolved in coastal flood plains and can handle just about any weather and conditions (including cold by simply putting it under mulch for the winter) in your area. I would stay away from Japanese Maples in your area. You'll have to search out JM varieties that are heat tolerant. I have a full-sized Arakawa in my backyard. It gets full sun all summer and leaf scorch too. It starts dropping leaves randomly during the hottest part of the summer. Tridents should be OK, as are crape myrtles and Black Pine (which aren't easy trees for beginners). Buttonwood can be finicky outside of the tropics. I don't have experience with it however.
I did actually see some bald cypress trees online that I liked, but they finished just outside my list of five. I'll definitely reconsider them, since it'd be wise to choose a native tree that thrives in this state as my first "true" bonsai. As far as Japanese maples go, I've already got nine, so you're not going to turn me away from those, LOL. I have three of the green "standard" variety from one to three feet high, all in pots growing up. I have two Bloodgoods, with one in the ground as a yard tree, and the one I mentioned in the first post waiting for a repotting next spring. Two Shishigashira, with one sapling in a pot and one at almost six feet tall that's getting air layered next spring. Lastly, a Crimson Queen and an Orangeola in standard pots being enjoyed as container trees for now. No immediate plans whatsoever to bonsai those. Yes, most lace leaf JM cultivars hate intense heat and will get leaf burn, which is why those two are on our east-facing front porch, where they get morning sun, then enjoy full shade from 11 am till sunset. Bloodgoods and Shishigashira do fine with direct sun, as long as it's not longer than four to six hours and they stay well-hydrated. None of mine have leaf burn so far this year.

FWIW, I would buy a $500 collected Bald Cypress starter if I were to make a choice between four $100 trees and one single impressive specimen. If you don't like bald cypress, you will when you actually have a good one. They are tough resilient, forgiving trees that develop very rapidly into great bonsai. In your area, you will have very little problem with the species. There are more than a few great BC collectors down that way. John Geanagel, for one. He has a Facebook page and sells through there.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look for a collected specimen locally first. Bald Cypress are all over the place in the wild down here (I'm just north of Wilmington and the Cape Fear River delta). I agree with you that I'd rather have a single quality tree over several cheaper ones. In fact, I'd happily do an even trade, giving away four of my smaller Japanese maples in exchange for a single nice tree. After I air layer my big Shishigashira next spring, I was planning to sell the smaller potted trees and buy another nice pre-bonsai with the money.

Good call. We had our hottest day of 2021 just this week. I'll wait until September or early October to pull the trigger on something. I don't want to wait too late for fear of missing out. If I see a tree I REALLY like, I'll buy it and then literally just let it sit all winter and keep it lightly watered. I'd rather have it dormant doing nothing for a few months than let someone else pull the rug out from under me.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't want to wait too late for fear of missing out. If I see a tree I REALLY like,
FOMO is a bad advisor. Trees come and go. They are like busses. The next one is just around the corner.

For 500$ most nurseries would be willing to share a few pics of what they have on offer. Just decide whether you want raw material that you develop into a bonsai yourself, or wherther you are looking for further developed trees.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did actually see some bald cypress trees online that I liked, but they finished just outside my list of five. I'll definitely reconsider them, since it'd be wise to choose a native tree that thrives in this state as my first "true" bonsai. As far as Japanese maples go, I've already got nine, so you're not going to turn me away from those, LOL. I have three of the green "standard" variety from one to three feet high, all in pots growing up. I have two Bloodgoods, with one in the ground as a yard tree, and one trimmed and wired waiting for a repotting next spring. Two Shishigashira, with one sapling in a pot and one at almost six feet tall that's getting air layered next spring. Lastly, a Crimson Queen and an Orangeola in standard pots being enjoyed as container trees for now. No immediate plans whatsoever to bonsai those. Yes, most lace leaf JM cultivars hate intense heat and will get leaf burn, which is why those two are on our east-facing front porch, where they get morning sun, then enjoy full shade from 11 am till sunset. Bloodgoods and Shishigashira do fine with direct sun, as long as it's not longer than four to six hours and they stay well-hydrated. None of mine have leaf burn so far this year.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look for a collected specimen locally first. Bald Cypress are all over the place in the wild down here (I'm just north of Wilmington and the Cape Fear River delta). I agree with you that I'd rather have a single quality tree over several cheaper ones. In fact, I'd happily do an even trade, giving away four of my smaller Japanese maples in exchange for a single nice tree. After I air layer my big Shishigashira next spring, I was planning to sell the smaller potted trees and buy another nice pre-bonsai with the money.

Good call. We had our hottest day of 2021 just this week. I'll wait until September or early October to pull the trigger on something. I don't want to wait too late for fear of missing out. If I see a tree I REALLY like, I'll buy it and then literally just let it sit all winter and keep it lightly watered. I'd rather have it dormant doing nothing for a few months than let someone else pull the rug out from under me.
The best stuff for the year has probably already been sold by most collectors--although you might find a BC or two still hanging around down there. If you're ordering in Sept. or Oct. might as well wait for the spring and skip having to overwinter new plants. If I were you, I would make plans to travel to the Winter Silhouette Show in Kannapolis in December. You will probably find PLENTY of quality stuff there. They've almost sold out of vendor tables...

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
FOMO is a bad advisor. Trees come and go. They are like busses. The next one is just around the corner.
Making an "impulse buy" without doing research and/or making up your mind first can be bad, but there's nothing wrong with pouncing on something you're already 100% mentally and financially ready to purchase. For example, one of my other hobbies is shooting pool. I've played competitively for many years. Quality, one-off custom cues from well-known cue makers can get very expensive and usually don't stick around for sale very long. If you've already committed yourself to spending the money on a nice cue, jump on one you really like when it comes along. If you wait another week, someone else may buy it while you're hemming and hawing. Will there be others? Sure, but they probably won't be exactly like the one you let get away.

For 500$ most nurseries would be willing to share a few pics of what they have on offer. Just decide whether you want raw material that you develop into a bonsai yourself, or whether you are looking for further developed trees.
In this particular instance, I'm looking for more developed trees. Something that maybe gives me two or three options for design, but has been grown and mostly shaped for a number of years already. I've got plenty of raw material at home growing in pots that can be developed over the next decade. I want a tree that someone else has already spent years working on, but is still left open enough for me to develop its final look over two to three years.

The best stuff for the year has probably already been sold by most collectors--although you might find a BC or two still hanging around down there. If you're ordering in Sept. or Oct. might as well wait for the spring and skip having to overwinter new plants. If I were you, I would make plans to travel to the Winter Silhouette Show in Kannapolis in December. You will probably find PLENTY of quality stuff there. They've almost sold out of vendor tables.
I will look into that, thanks. We have some good friends that live just 20 minutes north of Kannapolis who I could shack up with for the weekend.

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want a tree that someone else has already spent years working on, but is still left open enough for me to develop its final look over two to three years.
You might have to reconsider your development window.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You might have to reconsider your development window.
Is two to three years not long enough to put some finishing touches of my own on a pre-bonsai and have it on display in a nice pot? Serious question, not being snarky. I get that trees constantly grow, are never really 100% "done", and that people can constantly change the look of them. Believe me, whatever I buy will definitely not be the last pre-bonsai I ever purchase. There will be plenty of time, and room for improvement on any tree I own.

On your list Trident pops out for me. With more knowledge and understanding of pines, it would be the Black pine. Also in my list would be Hornbeam, Oak, Elm and others. I think if I had $500 to spend on a single plant, I probably would not go searching for a specific plant, but would just keep me eyes open and buy the one that speaks to me the loudest.
Was this Trident example I posted a good option for the price? https://brusselsbonsai.com/trident-maple-st0921tm-o/

It's not very tall right now, but looks like from the photos that it has a good leader I can let go to thicken the trunk some more. Speaking of the trunk, I like it a lot. It looks like it has a monster face with googly eyes, LOL. This is exactly what I mean when I say I like plants that have character to them.

monster_trident.jpg

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Was this Trident example I posted a good option for the price? https://brusselsbonsai.com/trident-maple-st0921tm-o/
Don’t take my word for it since I’m a beginner and I’ve only been doing bonsai more seriously for 1 year. That tree looks way over priced since I know people in PA sell thick trident trunks with nice nebari for 100-200. So please don’t buy that when you can get way better . It doesn’t have much character also .

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can't really compare prices between the U.S. and EU.

Imo the trident from Brussels is in the price range for a tree that size in the U.S. I bought a similar trident from them earlier this year and it was very well packed and healthy when I got it. I took a little time to adjust to my climate but it's been growing since.

You might be able to get a better price in Europe but you won't be able to ship it to the U.S.

So the price of a tree in Europe is largely irrelevant to someone buying in the U.S.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don’t take my word for it since I’m a beginner and I’ve only been doing bonsai more seriously for 1 year. That tree looks way over priced since I know people in PA sell thick trident trunks with nice nebari for 100-200. So please don’t buy that when you can get way better . It doesn’t have much character also .

If you know a place that sells better trees, for cheaper, give us a link or business name. I'm sure many of us would like to know about them

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I also didn't like the black pine for the price. You can find better for that price

And the 3 trunk crepe myrtle, I wouldn't touch for what they are asking for it.

Didn't like the other one either

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If I were you, I would make plans to travel to the Winter Silhouette Show in Kannapolis in December. You will probably find PLENTY of quality stuff there. They've almost sold out of vendor tables...

Second this advice

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Winter Silhouette Show in Kannapolis in December. You will probably find PLENTY of quality stuff there. They've almost sold out of vendor tables...
I checked about two weeks ago and there were no tables left. If I read it right 51 out of 50 tables were rented.

Top Bottom