Best outdoor pre-bonsai under $500?

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Second this advice
My question about this show is: How many of those 50 vendors will have pre-bonsai trees for sale with them, on-site at the beginning of winter when it's already pretty cold outside here in NC? Kannapolis is a 4-hour one-way drive from me. I'd hate to get there and see like only three tables selling trees I can actually afford. Unfortunately, the photo gallery on their website shows mostly exhibition trees and not much from the vendors, other than a couple people selling pots.

Imo the trident from Brussels is in the price range for a tree that size in the U.S. I bought a similar trident from them earlier this year and it was very well packed and healthy when I got it.

I also didn't like the black pine for the price. You can find better for that price

And the 3 trunk crepe myrtle, I wouldn't touch for what they are asking for it.

Didn't like the other one either
So the Trident maple price was OK, but most of the rest were not worth it. Good to know. What about the Buttonwood at Wigert's I linked to? Most comments I've read from folks on here seem to say he runs a good operation. Thanks for the input.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
My question about this show is: How many of those 50 vendors will have pre-bonsai trees for sale with them, on-site at the beginning of winter when it's already pretty cold outside here in NC? Kannapolis is a 4-hour one-way drive from me. I'd hate to get there and see like only three tables selling trees I can actually afford. Unfortunately, the photo gallery on their website shows mostly exhibition trees and not much from the vendors, other than a couple people selling pots.

So the Trident maple price was OK, but most of the rest were not worth it. Good to know. What about the Buttonwood at Wigert's I linked to? Most comments I've read from folks on here seem to say he runs a good operation. Thanks for the input.
There will be at least eight or nine tables with loads and loads of stock to purchase… Trust me :).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bella ...that's my snake's name...that website says those are "representative" of what you will get.
The other are way way meh to less than meh.

Find somewhere to go in person.....like Greg's house!😉

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Wigert's is another great place.
I am not as familiar with buttonwood since they are tropicals and I have enough of those at the moment. It's got a nice trunk but for the money, I think you can find better. I personally would not buy it for that price

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You folks who mentioned looking into a Bald Cypress, how's this? https://www.wigertsbonsai.com/product/bald-cypress-one-of-a-kind-pre-bonsai-3/
It's OK. Root buttress and taper on that one aren't all that...You can do better locally. Do a search on South Carolinian John Geanangel. He does Bald Cypress workshops with some excellent trees. He's on Facebook.

I'd wait for the show. There will probably be quality BC there.

I wouldn't worry about there not being enough stock at that event. Bonsai shows like that one tend to draw the best vendors, as the people attending know what they're looking at.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh the deals that I hear of ones coming away with is mind blowing too!
This one came home with me from the show back in 2018. Granted, it's price was more then $500 (I didn't pay what was on the price tag, either ;)) but there was plenty at that price point. All I can say is get there early!
1628851376999.png

1628851593166.png
The base on this one is exceptional
1628851653481.png

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one came home with me from the show back in 2018. Granted, it's price was more then $500 (I didn't pay what was on the price tag, either ;)) but there was plenty at that price point. All I can say is get there early!
View attachment 391324

View attachment 391325
The base on this one is exceptional
View attachment 391326
Get there early indeed...Wait at the door until it swings open. Nice tree!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fwiw, I'm planning on probably letting this one (recently defoliated) go this fall... too big and my yard seems to be getting steeper each year:p. I dug this one with John J. a while back. The asking price won't meet your threshold... that 26 inch wide pot set me back $300 dollars alone!
220992634_525918375307961_8782717928689844884_n (1).jpg235998771_154687496792866_1447621885850629054_n.jpg230074279_1428490914191935_7126620412020114200_n.jpg229740793_702082334099661_5794107038027445545_n.jpg

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Get there early indeed...Wait at the door until it swings open. Nice tree!
If I do end up going, I'll definitely make it a point to be there as soon as the doors open, and I'll have a wad of cash with me. $500+ would be for a tree, but I'd have extra to buy some other goodies while I'm there.

Fwiw, I'm planning on probably letting this one (recently defoliated) go this fall... too big and my yard seems to be getting steeper each year:p. I dug this one with John J. a while back. The asking price won't meet your threshold... that 26 inch wide pot set me back $300 dollars alone!
How much for the tree if you keep the pot and I just take it home in a cardboard box? 🤔 I've got a spare 15 gallon black plastic nursery pot at home that's 2 ft across and would make a lovely temporary home.😆

Last edited:

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Under 500 can buy you 1-3 of good pre bonsai , best stuff I found was searching around bonsai studios and not online. That Japanese black pine you listed is IMO not worth that price… Facebook Bonsai sales , and post a wanted add for Japanese Black Pine. Its highly likely, that gentleman will respond and show you his pines.. well worth the price. Evergreen Garden Works has really good specimens, even the gallon sizes are good ore bonsai writhing 5-10 years will get you a very good tree. To add, Bonsai club auctions or even shows has good deals.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If I do end up going, I'll definitely make it a point to be there as soon as the doors open, and I'll have a wad of cash with me. $500+ would be for a tree, but I'd have extra to buy some other goodies while I'm there.

How much for the tree if you keep the pot and I just take it home in a cardboard box? 🤔 I've got a spare 15 gallon black plastic nursery pot at home that's 2 ft across and would make a lovely temporary home.😆
If you’re serious about taking it, you can send me a PM. My club auction is a week from tomorrow… :).

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting.
Mine was a Japan import, maybe12 months in the EU when I bought it. You would expect prices to be similar.

Prices even within the U.S. can differ for the same tree. Trees in California, where there are a lot more bonsai places are generally much cheaper than on the east coast.

Someone I know has family I the EU. They've said that lots of things in stores are cheaper there than the in the U.S. It might vary by country of course.

It also varies by product. We know gasoline is more expensive in the EU. There was a time that Levi jeans that sold for $20 in the U.S. sold for $50 or more in Japan

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
If you know a place that sells better trees, for cheaper, give us a link or business name. I'm sure many of us would like to know about them
The PA guy I only heard about from a guy on bonsai nut while chatting . For maples I would just message Ed Clark that does bonsai material .

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't go for the purpose of buying, go for the purpose of looking. Buying is just frosting on the cake.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you’re serious about taking it, you can send me a PM. My club auction is a week from tomorrow… :).
I was just making a joke. It's a gorgeous tree, and I wouldn't buy it without taking the pot it's already in. Putting it into a cheap, flimsy plastic nursery pot would insult such a specimen, IMO. Good luck with the sale though!

Don't go for the purpose of buying, go for the purpose of looking. Buying is just frosting on the cake.
Indeed. Considering the show is four months from now, we'll see if I can even hold off on buying something between now and then. By the time December gets here, the money may have already been spent.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Dude, people would kill to be within a four hour drive of this show. Vendors rarely post what they're going to have for sale, as it changes, it depends on how much space they have, what they've got on hand, etc. FWIW, I wouldn't sweat it. I'd save my money for the show. What you're considering--a higher end, mostly finished tree with two or three years work left on it--is probablyh going to run you more than $500 realistically. Sure you can find a $500 tree from a mediocre online vendor, or even a very nice developed tree like the one Dav has offered up, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised by what you find at the show (although Dav4's BC is killer). If I were going to take a deep dive like you're planning, I'd want to see A LOT of options IN PERSON. and BTW, club auctions can bring extremely nice material to the table for a third what you would pay online. Many experienced bonsaiists sell off the stock they've been working on for years to make room for other stuff.

If you want to spend a lot of money and have three or four days to spare this fall and a car, airplane or train ticket--one of the biggest U.S. bonsai shows is happening in September up near Rochester, N.Y. The bi-ennial U.S. National Exhibition show Sept. 11-12 in Rochester, N.Y. is the ultimate in terms of quality exhibits and draws ALL of the top-notch vendors. It's an invitational, show entries are vetted by the show organizers, so there is a high bar for quality.

The show page has a vendor list--and hooo boy I lost money just looking at it. It's one of the "prestige" bonsai event in the U.S. It is a bucket list trip for me.

Top Bottom