Best plan of action for this tree

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was given this maple that my uncle ripped out of the ground. I would like to save it but this would be my first bonsai ever. A Reddit user suggested bonsai soil immediately and then chopping off the top half of the tree. I don’t have bonsai soil at the moment, so would a mixture of sphagnum moss and cactus soil be an appropriate substitute? 85998C78-E2C6-4DEF-95DF-F61CF2C08B3C.jpeg34E74928-F0ED-46EC-8D3B-FFE4238F510D.jpeg

Attachments

• 5353B8C1-03EE-431F-85F6-C6AF04BF0350.jpeg
    5353B8C1-03EE-431F-85F6-C6AF04BF0350.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 2

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a few vine maples and some are in a bark and pumice mix from the nursery and some are in traditional bonsai mixes, and one is in cactus mix. I can’t tell the the difference so far.

Not a particularly easy tree to bonsai for a number of reasons.

I’d chop that thicker trunk above the first branch and put it in dappled shade.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Warmest of greetings, traveller. Shed your cuticle and charge your sap flow ‘mongst the hollows of the Woody Dwarves.... everybody’s doing it. :)

@NOZZLE HEAD knows ‘bout Vine Maples.. (pretty neat ones, too)

I just uh... saw your campfire, and decided to “stroll” through, nom-menacingly... whispering; ...

“...Pleasure to make your acquaintance!”

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a few vine maples and some are in a bark and pumice mix from the nursery and some are in traditional bonsai mixes, and one is in cactus mix. I can’t tell the the difference so far.

Not a particularly easy tree to bonsai for a number of reasons.

I’d chop that thicker trunk above the first branch and put it in dappled shade.
Thank you. I did indeed chop the tree down and used half cactus soil and half peat moss for the time being. Unfortunately all my stores were sold out of sphagnum moss so I assumed peat would work too... I was wrong. I suppose it will be ok for a week or two while I order actual bonsai soil. I’ve also read a 50/50 mixture of sand and peat moss can work well too. Really I just need to develop some more roots until I try and do anything fancy with this.8E7D45B9-5580-4F99-AA9D-B4A597FDB37A.jpeg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This tree leafed out, then was uprooted, than potted up.....then repotted, with intent to repot again, in the same season???
Do I read correctly?

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you. I did indeed chop the tree down and used half cactus soil and half peat moss for the time being. Unfortunately all my stores were sold out of sphagnum moss so I assumed peat would work too... I was wrong. I suppose it will be ok for a week or two while I order actual bonsai soil. I’ve also read a 50/50 mixture of sand and peat moss can work well too. Really I just need to develop some more roots until I try and do anything fancy with this.View attachment 310799
I’d just leave it be at this point. Repotting again is not worth the risk.

Vine maples are tough. It will live until December when you can repot it again.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’d just leave it be at this point. Repotting again is not worth the risk.

Vine maples are tough. It will live until December when you can repot it again.
Thanks NozzleHead. I wish I had more time to collect the tree myself once I had all the required stuff. I have been planning on starting bonsai but this was thrown into my hands way earlier than I was hoping. I will leave it for a while and let it establish. Thank you so much for your help!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I totally agree. I’ve got several Vine Maples I dug up to experiment on and they are very resilient... The only thing I’d add is to be sure that the tree is stabilized so it doesn’t move around or get knocked down until you repot again.
cheers
DSD

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This tree leafed out, then was uprooted, than potted up.....then repotted, with intent to repot again, in the same season???
Do I read correctly?
Sorry, just.wing.it, you did. I’ll follow NozzleHead’s advice and leave it Until at least winter. This is my first tree ever and was thrown into it without proper preparation. I know it’s probably worst case scenario but the tree was free so I’m not terribly worried about failure.

Top Bottom