Best position for ground layered trident - sun or part shade ?

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The title says it all I guess. From your experience, what is the best position for a ground layered trident maple ? Full sun or part shade ? Do you want the leaves to get maximum energy or do you want the roots to stay cool ? I am thinking keep the roots cool. Thanks for your replies.

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Davetree,
I'm assuming you mean the groundlayer is still in progress. If so, one of the keys to success is to have the top of the tree growing as much as you can get.
So, here in Oregon, the trident would definitely be in full sun, and fed lots. No pruning.
Hope that helps,
Chris

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes ground layer still in progress. I get the part about no pruning, I left everything on last year in preparation for this spring's layer. So there are a lot of leaves coming. Full sun it is, thanks for the reply, Chris.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think the general answer is "best condition for maximum growth"...which depends on each species, local weather, soil, watering, time of year, etc.

For me here in TX now...full sun is acceptable for trident. In a few weeks, partial shade, middle of summer...mostly shade especially afternoon.

Root temps and leaf sun exposure can be controlled separately if need be. I mulch my pots in summer and it really helped. A friend here uses coco fiber (used as liners on hanging plants) to shade the soil and pots. Keeps the soil colder and not hinder watering. I am sure there are other means, you just have to be creative.

And yes, I agree with no pruning.

Good luck! :)

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Soil warmth promotes rooting, that's why propagators use bottom heat on cuttings. I would venture to guess that it doesn't get too hot for a trident in your locale. Just make sure the soils is staying damp. Speaking of warmth, did you get any snow today?

Top Bottom