Best practice for shipping trees?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am interested in finding how we should pack and ship trees in the lower 48. How do we deal with the heat/cold and water needs? How do we secure larger tree? What can we do to reduce shipping cost.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I usually water well the day before shipping, then I moisten paper towels, not soaked but damp and put on soil surface. Tape dow; paper towels so no soil can escape. tree has to be wired down to the box So it can’t wiggle at all, I usually cut a piece of cardboard the exact size of the bottom of the box, wire the tree to that and then staple the cardboard piece to the box itself. After that it’s just packing peanuts stuffed all around to further prevent movement. I ship priority mail so it’s only in transit a few days. I’m not interested in seeing how a tree does for a week or more.

this has worked very well for me and I’ve sold a ton of stuff in the last six months. smaller the tree the easier it is.

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've received some large trees and there's a variety of factors. Define large, and also weight. That'll dictate what shipping options there are(both in terms of care and transit period length) and thus define how they should be packed. I've had door to door where it's climate controlled sprinter van which requires no packing since they're just strapped down to the floor of the van or pallet. I've had some larger ones(but not monstrous) come via a custom made frame that is then wrapped in cardboard. I did have one that was a 3 day transit that had sphagnum moss on top of the soil to keep it moist after being watered(and the whole pot saran wrapped). Most sellers avoid shipping in the heat of summer via some methods though(understandably so).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am interested in finding how we should pack and ship trees in the lower 48. How do we deal with the heat/cold and water needs? How do we secure larger tree? What can we do to reduce shipping cost.
I've shipped trees this way:

Water well two hours before putting the tree in the post.

Let it drain for ten minutes, wrap the pot with plastic, pack the plastic around the pot tight, wrap tightly with tape. the snugger the better. Wrap that in bubble wrap. Have a box large enough to have at least six inches all around the tree. Put the tree inside, backfill with plastic peanuts. You can also put the box into another box, add peanuts to fill the void. If you've wrapped the roots/pot tightly enough and sealed it off, and if you ship the tree second or third day delivery, the wrapped root ball will not have any issues. Plastic is better to keep water around the root mass than paper towels or anything absorbent.

If you want customers to be happy and not come looking for refunds, Don't ship in spring and summer, fall is best, late winter is also. Avoid shipping when temp extremes are in forecast for you OR AT THE DESTINATION.

This is mostly for trees that are under two feet tall with roots/pots less than 12". I have had large trees (3-5 feet tall) dropped shipped to me airmail from their collectors. One came in a refrigerator box. To secure those requires engineering, mostly a wooden frame inside the box for support/anchoring. Best to have a plywood bottom on the box that can accept screws to secure a pot with wire tie downs or similar.

FWIW, I've also taken newly collected four foot tall trees in boxes onto aircraft as shipped luggage. I flew home with them from trips. TSA/security the airlines didn't care.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So I tried a mock up of a BC ship. A 32"x12"x12" 17 lbs container UPS ground from where I am going to the West Coast will cost about $80. That is for a small collected BC.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I tried a mock up of a BC ship. A 32"x12"x12" 17 lbs container UPS ground from where I am going to the West Coast will cost about $80. That is for a small collected BC.
That sounds about right...Did you see how long the shipping would take? Stuck on a truck for a week is not great, particularly if temps on the way, or at the destination are too hot or too cold.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I bought 2 BC from Zach Smith. He shipped them by taking them out of the pots and wrapping the root ball in plastic wrap. I think he taped that to the bottom of the box. He then put them into large shipping boxes stuffed full of foam pnuts. One was a small one about 2’ tall and the other was a big boy over 3’ tall. Both arrived in good shape and are still out on the benches. I have bought other smaller stuff that is usually shipped in small plastic nursery pots taped to the bottom or to cardboard spacers. Some have pnuts others crumpled paper. I have never lost a tree shipped either way, but the pnuts are a pain as they end up all over the driveway or the garage.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Once youve bought from a few reputable bonsai suppliers, you sort of pick it up along the way. The thick, corrugated cardboard crates they use in supermarkets for fruit n veg can provide a very sturdy base for trees, from there you can secure potted trees in with wire through the box holes and duct tape, after sealing the pots with plastic and thick cling film. secure to bottom of delivery box with more duct tape and hot glue from a glue gun. You can pack and tape folded cardboard into the bottom of the fruit box or delivery box to act as a cushion for the tree base.
Those fruit boxes are usually free if you ask nicely.

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Well I just shipped a BC with a 9" base & added a Mayhaw to the box for funsies. $60 is not bad for a 16" L x 12" W x 31" H. The box is a little bit flimsy. I might have to beef it up a bit next time. Temperature along the entire route out west is cold but above freezing so it should be good.

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Well I just shipped a BC with a 9" base & added a Mayhaw to the box for funsies. $60 is not bad for a 16" L x 12" W x 31" H. The box is a little bit flimsy. I might have to beef it up a bit next time. Temperature along the entire route out west is cold but above freezing so it should be good.
Louisiana to Utah just in case you are wondering about shipping cost.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well packaged trees that I received were as follows:

- Saran wrap around the pot and soil so the soil doesn't go everywhere in shipping;
- Pot is surrounded by some sort of cushion to prevent breakage and movement;
- box filled with packaging peanuts;
- box is labelled "this side up" (not that the delivery guys give a shit).

Larger trees also had wood along the insides of the box just in case it gets smooshed by something else.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
UPS just sent me a supplement bill for $8 more and charged my credit card. I bought the boxes at Home Depot. As advertised by HD the dimension was 12”x16”x YY. I measured the box and it was at most 1/8” more probably due to moisture expansion of the card board. UPS claimed my measurement was incorrect and sent me adjustment charge for 13”x17”xYY.
They know I don’t have time to dispute a $8 charge.
Grrrr…

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Today I shipped a BC to near St Antonio and it only cost $27. Granted it was a small one and with minimal packing. Still that was pretty good.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I don’t quite know what the consequences will be yet but my lady’s garland storage box, with a bald cypress tree inside, is on the way to New Jersey.

The garlands are now hidden in the attic. I am safe until Christmas I think but that is never a sure thing. :D

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Cold is not a problem down here but I do have plenty of experience shipping trees in hot weather.
Initially I was reluctant fearing they would dry out given I water twice a day in summer. In practice shipping in summer is no problem and the trees travel for up to a week without added water. I guess in a dark box they don't need to transpire water as they do during hot days. One recent summer shipment was delayed and arrived after 12 days - dehydrated and yellow leaves but trident maples are hardy and all of them have since recovered. That customer wanted regular delivery instead of the usual express to save around $30 on an $800 package of trident maples.

Most of my trees are shipped in their pots as our postal service charge on both weight and volume and most of my trees are lighter than the volume of the box which means the extra soil does not add to the cost. I wrap the pot in a plastic bag and tape it as well closed as practical. Pack into a tight box to limit movement during handling. I often custom make boxes to suit the pot size and tree height - either sheet carboard or open up a larger box and make new folds and cuts to suit.
Cut hand holds in the sides of the box to make it easier for shipping staff to handle without turning the box over. Label on top to reinforce which way is up. With the pots and soil the bottom is heavier anyway so handlers naturally seem to place it right way up.
With this approach I have had no breakages in 4 years and only a couple in the 10 years before that and most of those were as a result of my inadequate packing. As I rarely ship trees in ceramic pots I don't need to guard against pots breaking. The few times I have done so I packed polystyrene sheet around the pot and tied it down to the base of the carton to stop any movement.

Most shipping companies have a calculator on the website. You can enter details of dimensions and weight to get an accurate quote for the parcel. Play around with different dimensions and weights to see what is most economic.
Our big box stores have used cardboard cartons available to pack purchases at the checkouts but they don't mind anyone wandering in to take a few for other uses so I grab a few extra whenever I'm going past. Our local post office also keeps a few use boxes for packing. They let me know when there's any bigger ones my size.
Similar sources may reduce domestic disputes over rights to storage cartons.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Night Temps is my focus...when shipping. I just shipped out 3 trees this week. I try and ship or have trees shipped Monday or Tuesday. So they arrive before the weekend.

Top Bottom