Best rodent repellent?

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Other than a 22LR, what repellent works for VC?
I completed my new cold frame that is about 24" below ground level and about 10" above. The plants won't go in 'til after Thanksgiving here in the US. (End of November.)
They will be mulched in with mulched oak leaves.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A bit of poison maybe, but if it's built with tight fitting doors you might get away without it. Maybe some of the rubber draft strips around the door and/or frame to overlap and cover any gaps.
I'm planning one that's essentially an extra large plastic storage tub buried up to the handles, and then cut out a window in the lid and put clear vinyl in it. Seal all but air tight, allows light, and holds temperature. Maybe a section of PVC pipe leading through the ground and into the bottom for additional ventilation.
Good luck.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use a pellet product called Havoc. The mice like to chew the paper packet and then the pellets, they like them a lot, dehydrate them. Thirsty....the mice flee and dry up. I’ve used the packets for many years. Great in the garage too. I buy the packets in a bulk yellow bucket. Packets....not just pellets. Best price is eBay with free shipping.
4269B7F9-A90D-46C2-98B8-29603971520C.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It sounds like a great product but as with all poisons, read the info carefully, particularly if you have cats (or dogs that think they are cats).
I'm going to check it out for my sheds that are closed to my mousers.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It sounds like a great product but as with all poisons, read the info carefully, particularly if you have cats (or dogs that think they are cats).
I have the same problem.
God forbid one of the menagerie get ahold of it. I'll be sleeping in the shed!! 🤣

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Around CA, we've had a number of mountain lions, bobcats, and other wildlife get poisoned from eating rats who ate poison. That should be a consideration.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Around CA, we've had a number of mountain lions, bobcats, and other wildlife get poisoned from eating rats who ate poison. That should be a consideration.
I prefer trapping over baiting for that same reason. A few well placed traps does the job.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I use a pellet product called Havoc. The mice like to chew the paper packet and then the pellets, they like them a lot, dehydrate them. Thirsty....the mice flee and dry up. I’ve used the packets for many years. Great in the garage too. I buy the packets in a bulk yellow bucket. Packets....not just pellets. Best price is eBay with free shipping.
View attachment 335857
We sell alot of this product to farmers where I work. I don't need it at home. My cat is fat and spoiled, but she takes pride in gifting us with the occasional mouse that makes it's way inside.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 335857
That sounds so much better that what pest control use in my area. My home is part of a group and there is always one neighbor that leaves trash and food waste all over the place which of course attracts rodents. The company that owns the properties have had pest control out every year since she moved into one.
Unfortunately the pest control company uses a poison that causes the animal to bleed to death from every orifice and while I haven’t had any pest issues myself its not been pleasant to come across that vision. I’d much rather come across a crispy than a gooey!

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been plagued by rodents all winter. When spring started a discovered neem pellets. Sprinkled some on the soil and around the cold frame. It's working wonders so far. When I open the door in the morning i'm hit with the smell that keeps them away.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Consider an electric trap aka "rat zapper". In SoCal we had a problem with tree rats (real rats that lived in palm trees - not squirrels). Concerned about poison use, bought a rat zapper - killed five rats by my koi pond the first night I used it. Safe for kids, pets, and secondary rat body eaters.

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As to repellents, I still use Fox and Coyote Urine granules I buy on Amazon. Keeps the squirrels under control as well.
Huh I hadn't seen the granules. Though squirrels seemed undeterred by the liquid fox urine I was spraying around the yard.

Will also have to see if those neem granules help at all. Thx for the tips all!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
must make neem smell like roses lol

glad it works
Smell is pretty acrid when you first put it down but it fades in a few days. It doesn't really bother me because I live in the woods and strange smells from foxes and such are just part of the experience.

Top Bottom