Best season to repot? Spring or summer?

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I find lot of conflicting info. on the web about repotting. Most people on the forum recommend Summer while online sources suggest early spring is the best time to root prune. I generally repot tropicals a few weeks after moving them outside, which in my area is late May/early June.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
As @Adair M is fond of saying "it depends". What kind of tree, deciduous, tropical, pine etc.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If you have to ask, then its not summer.

For anything thats not tropical/succulent that is.

Experienced folks are successful with repots at all different times, because there are multiple different factors and variables.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
repotsConsidering he/she posted in the "tropicals" section, Im assuming they are talking about tropicals but yes
other species are best repotted at other times
Oops sorry, wasn't paying attention to that. Most of my trees are tropical, so repots are done in the summer when they are growing vigorously.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oops sorry, wasn't paying attention to that. Most of my trees are tropical, so repots are done in the summer when they are growing vigorously.
haha I had to look at it twice to make sure so I gave the right info

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Winter.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I root prune tropicals and most Australian natives any time from late spring to late summer. Actual timing will depend on where you keep the trees and your local climate but most tropicals do better when root pruned while they are actively growing and can recover quickly.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If I'm not doing major root work, late August is ideal for repotting deciduous trees.

This might be a controversial view. But I learned it from Walter, who enjoys controversy. :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Location/climate dictates. I'm up north...and I repot end of June,early July. Why is this? The tropical have acclimated back outside on my benches and are actively growing well. *Actively growing is key in the overall big picture.

Top Bottom