Neo_Rokkenjima

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello friends, I bought a beautiful Brazillian raintree from a local shop recently for my climate-controlled office, and I'm questioning what kind of soil I should use. My understanding is that, out in the wild, BRTs grow in sandy soil. In fact, I have often read that, when these trees are collected from the wild, they are transplanted into 100% sand. I'm sure that this is suitable for larger trees/ collection practices, but I question if that is really the optimal mixture for growing and developing bonsai. In the first place, if we were to take the "simulating a natural environment" approach for constructing a soil profile, you would assume that an "all-natural" medium would have a non-zero amount of organics (such as tree bark) in the soil-- and that the presence of these organics would be beneficial for the tree. Yet, everything I've read seems to suggest otherwise. Apparently, it can lead to root rot, and they should have completely inorganic soil. Okay, but then why are there companies like Tinyroots directly insisting that their tropical soil blends are suitable for BRTs? And yet, some others still insist on using nothing but akadama, or else an akadama/ lava rock mix? I can only imagine the answer comes down to either personal preference, misinformation-- or climate, which would be an extremely non-arbitrary distinction.

Thus, I turn to the forums once again for an answer. My BRT is decidedly an indoor-tree; she gets tons of sun from a massive south-southeast-facing picture window in my office, and the temperature is consistently kept between 65-72 degrees Fahrenheit. What sort of soil should I be using? Would akadama drain too quickly? Would adding organics be beneficial/ detrimental to the tree? Please let me know your opinions about what I should be using.

Tele

Yamadori
Reaction score
I imagine some organics work good especially in weekends for water retention. Just don´t overwater and don´t use too much organics to prevent root rot.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
You will want to ensure that you repot your bonsai in the spring in a fast draining soil as too much organic in the soil mix can create wet conditions which causes root rot, fungus and branch die-back. Prune your bonsai’s roots moderately and be sure to avoid fertilization for 4 weeks after transplanting.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use an open, inorganic mix for mine.
I've gone away for a week and left the pots partially submerged in a tray so they don't dry out and they have done fine.

You could do similar for the weekends and let the pot drain on Monday.

I need to water every 1 to 2 days depending on what time of year it is.

Neo_Rokkenjima

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use an open, inorganic mix for mine.
I've gone away for a week and left the pots partially submerged in a tray so they don't dry out and they have done fine.

You could do similar for the weekends and let the pot drain on Monday.

I need to water every 1 to 2 days depending on what time of year it is.

I think this is what I'll be doing from now on. I am having a tough time gauging how much to water on any given day... I feel I am often toeing, or outright crossing, the lines between over and under-watering.

Zac

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have my BRT in subtropical premixed soil from bonsaiboy of New York ( it's like black sand and some other stuff I always add lava rock to it) and my tree loves it I've had my tree for a good while. I water mine once or twice a week. I place a softwood skewer in the soil of all my trees down to the bottom of pot and leave it there I check them every day if they're wet don't water if they're dry should of watered yesterday I water when there slightly damp almost dry. You probably will have to water more because conditioned air is drier.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think this is what I'll be doing from now on. I am having a tough time gauging how much to water on any given day... I feel I am often toeing, or outright crossing, the lines between over and under-watering.
Use the chopstick trick to learn when your tree needs water

Edit: read your second post and you already do.

That is the best way to learn when your trees need water. Keep in mind it will change throughout the seasons as temperatures, growth and water needs change

Top Bottom