Best soil mix for Maple air layering after removal from parent tree?

Dank Piscean

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've got two Bloodgood Maple air layerings out in my front yard that I've started a month ago. Still no roots but the sphagnum moss inside the air layer pods is still moist and just needs time. I know its gonna take at least another month or more for good roots to develop and I'll definitely wait until a healthy rootball is established before I cut from the parent tree but I like to plan ahead since right now I'm just playing the waiting game.

While doing some research I found people would put their successful air layerings in sphagnum moss, perlite, potting mix, or other mediums but I'm not sure what's best. I've got some coconut coir, coconut shells, perlite, and vermiculite that might make for a good mix but I'm open to suggestions.

20220518_102248.jpg

I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch but I figure I'd get some good advice on here since its one of my first air layerings and I've got my fingers crossed. I also plan on using these pots since I can't plant them in the ground I figure I'd go big and use these larger sized pots that I've had for a while and put them to use.

20220520_022024.jpg20220520_022137.jpg

I'm still a beginner so if anything seems like potentially bad practice feel free to let me know. I'm always looking to learn more!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
After separating layers from the mother plant I pot them into my usual potting soil. The same mix I use for all other bonsai and potted plants here.
You can grow Japanese maples in almost any mix but growing in pots appears to be easier with a quick draining mix using larger particles for aeration.
Some growers use a small amount of coir in potting mixes but too much and the soil will stay soggy too long leading to root problems.
Perlite is OK for large particles but it is very light and tends to 'float' out of the pot when you water so many of us steer away from it.
Lava rock and scoria seem to be favorite choices for potting mix components over there. Check some of the soil threads. I see some suggestions below. Not much difference between conifer soil and maple soil.

Dank Piscean

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
After separating layers from the mother plant I pot them into my usual potting soil. The same mix I use for all other bonsai and potted plants here.
You can grow Japanese maples in almost any mix but growing in pots appears to be easier with a quick draining mix using larger particles for aeration.
Some growers use a small amount of coir in potting mixes but too much and the soil will stay soggy too long leading to root problems.
Perlite is OK for large particles but it is very light and tends to 'float' out of the pot when you water so many of us steer away from it.
Lava rock and scoria seem to be favorite choices for potting mix components over there. Check some of the soil threads. I see some suggestions below. Not much difference between conifer soil and maple soil.
I just figured they would need to be in more of a nursery soil or something similar once cut from the parent tree but I guess they can go straight into bonsai soil no problem. I originally planned on using a mix of akadama, turface, coarse river sand, some compost, pine bark, and frit for when it establish itself into the pot so after its first repot but does that still sound adequate for developing roots? I heard maples aren't very picky with their soil and thats a relief to hear, I just would still like to give it the best start after the seperation and into its first pot. Thanks for the advice and suggestions for threads.

The air layerings aren't very big. I'd say its as thick as a sharpie at the base so the large pot might be overkill but I figure its a good altermative if I can't grow in the ground that way they can have room to thicken up.

Reaction score
being in substrate you just need to watch their nutrition a little closer, but it doesn't really make a big difference. I did a late air layer in june 15 2021 - harvested in august 20 2021 and put it into a perlite (70%) spaghnum moss (30%) mix so i could have exact control of the moisture levels. perlite dries quick which prevented chance of root rot and I kept it in a shaded area after potting. It stayed outside for the winter under some mulch and is very healthy as of today

Attachments

• 20220513_101359.jpg
    20220513_101359.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 14

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I originally planned on using a mix of akadama, turface, coarse river sand, some compost, pine bark, and frit for when it establish itself into the pot so after its first repot but does that still sound adequate for developing roots?
Roots will develop in almost any mix provided you can match watering and fert to the tree, pot and soil mix used. I'm not familiar with all the ingredients you've quoted but have seen them all mentioned here. There is greater scope for different soil mixes with larger containers like you are using. The smaller the container the more critical it becomes to use open, draining mixes.
I'd leave out the compost if that means well rotted fine material. The aim of modern soil mixes is to eliminate as much smaller particles as possible.

Need to take a little care with small trees planted in very large containers. Until the roots fill the space there is a chance that the unused soil can turn sour and cause problems. Vigorous maple layers should grow quick and be Ok even in these larger containers.

Top Bottom