Best soil type for yew that needs some Revival

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
tbh I doubt it. If you do not see any walking around, I would expect them to be gone
Ok well thatd be nice, i only thought cuz i didnt think i got deep enough to get them all..seened like they had a tunnel goin on but all i can do is keep close eye..with the growth standing back up id hate to re distrupt too much

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok well thatd be nice, i only thought cuz i didnt think i got deep enough to get them all..seened like they had a tunnel goin on but all i can do is keep close eye..with the growth standing back up id hate to re distrupt too much
unless the queen is in there, they have little reason for staying there tbh

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Growth went from wilted and Drooping down to facing straight up to the sun for the most part

And some little areas that look like brand new growth not sure if it's since I brought the tree home but it looks pretty new and healthy

Attachments

• 20210531_190314.jpg
    20210531_190314.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210602_192043.jpg
    20210602_192043.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 53

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dont know why but it went from looking recovered n very healthy to now not so vibrant and starting to slowly brown nd lose foliage

Could be overwatering?my mix has good drainage im not sure what it needs now since it was doing great

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Dont know why but it went from looking recovered n very healthy to now not so vibrant and starting to slowly brown nd lose foliage

Could be overwatering?my mix has good drainage im not sure what it needs now since it was doing great
That is one killer tree. Could be poor drainage, tilt it to increase that. Too late to put pumice , but as others stated, pumice is great for any collected tree to allow roots to get air , and prevent rotting. Best of luck.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Only one of my trees going through any type of stress and of course it has to be this one my favorite

I am also leaning towards potential poor drainage even though I have a lot of success with my mix I typically use but perhaps it wasn't airy enough... what is the opinion on emergency repot into higher drainage substrate and should it see some fish emulsion or somethin

Attachments

• 20210725_173152.jpg
    20210725_173152.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't think a repot is a good idea. Any amount of fine feeder roots produced over the past few months would be destroyed, and very, very difficult to get them growing again now at the height of summer. Related to that, material like this is going to struggle to stay cool this time of year in most zones, so that damage may be from heat. Essentially, the tree doesn't have enough roots to keep up with the amount of respiration needed to keep the top cool. One thing you can do, in my opinion, is spray down the branches several times a day -- especially on hot days. Since the soil isn't as porous as one would like, you'll want to avoid over-watering (drowning) the roots. But showering the foliage can help balance out that need to keep cool as the bottom grows to catch up with the needs for the top.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Once this shows in a yew, it's too late. Yew is not a full sun species. They can stand full sun if and only if they are very healthy, but a recently repotted one doesn't fall into that category. It's all over but the shouting.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had success poking a chopstick up from the bottom drainage holes to open up plugged screens/holes if the water's not flowing through freely.

Top Bottom