Best sources for good annealed copper wiring?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
From looking at the chemistry of copper this (don’t straighten it) makes sense to me in literal application -moving around and between branches...why is it the natural inclination to stretch out a piece?..easier to measure??..trees are not generally linear.

However, given the more you bend copper the more ridgid it becomes, it almost seems that straightening it, bending back into a hoop, and immediately applying could add some fragment of strength.

I like what you are saying, and don’t think I will again attempt to wire a tree with that whip form
I don’t know, I guess newbies are used to working with things that start off straight. But, if I don’t tell them not to, they will cut off a piece if wire, and they will be looking at the tree and trying to figure out how/where to wire, and their hands will be straightening the wire! They dont consciously do it, they don’t cut it off, look at it and say, “oh, this is curved, I must straighten it out”, they are usually holding it at their waist. A hand on each end, and they just pull it straight! And then they stick it in the tree, like a spear. Can’t do that when it’s curved!

I, on the other hand, have a piece of the coil in my hand that I’ve kinda measured out, and I insert the Center point of the coil at the anchor point, and the first bends are when I set the center of the wire around the crotch I’m using as the anchor.

Just the process of coiling the wire around the branch stiffens it. If I then have to move the branch or put curves in, that stiffens it more.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don’t know, I guess newbies are used to working with things that start off straight. But, if I don’t tell them not to, they will cut off a piece if wire, and they will be looking at the tree and trying to figure out how/where to wire, and their hands will be straightening the wire! They dont consciously do it, they don’t cut it off, look at it and say, “oh, this is curved, I must straighten it out”, they are usually holding it at their waist. A hand on each end, and they just pull it straight! And then they stick it in the tree, like a spear. Can’t do that when it’s curved!

I, on the other hand, have a piece of the coil in my hand that I’ve kinda measured out, and I insert the Center point of the coil at the anchor point, and the first bends are when I set the center of the wire around the crotch I’m using as the anchor.

Just the process of coiling the wire around the branch stiffens it. If I then have to move the branch or put curves in, that stiffens it more.

I see myself in what you have said of your students, and do not wish to approach a tree as or with a spear, or habit of resources
Thank you for putting things in this light

Top Bottom