Best time for Acer p. cuttings?

Speedy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a/
When would the best time to try to root Acer p. cuttings? The variety in question is 'Mikawa Yatsubusa'. I have read that some varieties don't strike roots easily, is this one of them? Would I have better luck trying to airlayer? I have three, two of which I would like to remove parts of.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
air layering would probably give you the best results .... at least for creating new trees... you should start this in spring... people have their own ideas about when but i like to start after the spring growth hardens off ....

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree, right after the new growth hardens is best to strike cutting from the previous years growth. In general most maple species that have trouble rooting are those of the red leaved variety.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
air layering would probably give you the best results .... at least for creating new trees... you should start this in spring... people have their own ideas about when but i like to start after the spring growth hardens off ....

That's a good time to make cuttings, as well.

Speedy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a/
Thanks for the quick responses guys/gals. What I will probably do then is try to strike one as a cutting and airlayer the other.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the quick responses guys/gals. What I will probably do then is try to strike one as a cutting and airlayer the other.

good choice to do both.... cuttings are a great way to graft nebari/branches that you might not get otherwise.. and the airlayer will give you a trunk to work with....

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've had far better luck layering maples than striking cuttings, and you might want to start layering slightly earlier; May-June. For me, maple cuttings are a battle of attrition. If I want 1, I need to strike 50 and hope to get lucky for some reason. I think I'm close to 100% on layering.

Top Bottom