Best time to air layer in zone 6B?

FrankBud

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I cannot figure out how to ask a question so I am trying here. When is the best time to air layer in Zone 6B. thank you

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There appears to be some difference of opinion which probably just means there is more than one best time or the best time is actually longer than many realize. There will be some variation depending on the species and local micro-climates.

Some seem to favor before buds open for deciduous trees but I have had a few failures with layers on Japanese maples at that time. Could have been my skill or something else impacting rather than time of year though.
Others layer soon after the leaves have opened out. That's when I seem to have better results and should be coming up for you soon.
I have also layered successfully later in summer and in autumn but some slow to root species may not have sufficient roots before the end of the growing season when layered later. In 6B you may have some problems leaving layers exposed through winter so probably best to try earlier through spring and early summer.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

FrankBud

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There appears to be some difference of opinion which probably just means there is more than one best time or the best time is actually longer than many realize. There will be some variation depending on the species and local micro-climates.

Some seem to favor before buds open for deciduous trees but I have had a few failures with layers on Japanese maples at that time. Could have been my skill or something else impacting rather than time of year though.
Others layer soon after the leaves have opened out. That's when I seem to have better results and should be coming up for you soon.
I have also layered successfully later in summer and in autumn but some slow to root species may not have sufficient roots before the end of the growing season when layered later. In 6B you may have some problems leaving layers exposed through winter so probably best to try earlier through spring and early summer.
Thanks Shibui. It appears, from all that I have read, it is not human activity hit or miss but the particular plants adaptation to the layering process. As in all of life, some things work, all the time, some things work part of the time and some thing just don't work. I will see the outcomes in late August. thanks again.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wait until after the new leaves and shoots have completely extended and hardened off then go for it. This gives the tree time to recover the energy it used in pushing iut the new growth. It is very important to an e a full canopy to generate the energy and hormones required to generate new roots. In my area that should be around the 1st of June depending on weather.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When the leaves have hardened off they are in the best state to photosynthesize and send energy back down to the plant where they hit the air layer.
I've layered standard AP this way the past few years with excellent results. I started a little sooner this year, set them today actually. Maybe first couple of leaf pairs maturing. I also cut the girdle a couple of days before to let the the cambium desicate, I've never done this before but read it here.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@FrankBud

Shibui, 0soyoung and the others are all more or less right. There is a wide range of acceptable seasons to start an air layer. It is a general rule that the tree should be in active growth when the air layer is started. I usually wait until the first 6 or so sets of new leaves have hardened off (tree in a state of positive energy). Depending on species, sometimes it takes longer than others to get roots to develop. When air layering pines, it has taken me as much as 2 years to get roots to form. I actually give the tree the same protection in winter whether or not it has an air layer hanging. If no roots have formed, there is nothing the cold can kill. I found for a few trees they will form callus over the winter, and actually produce roots after the summer has begun the following growing season.

So start your air layer when you have time, anytime from the time buds open in spring, through to late summer, or even early autumn. Don't worry about winter. Treat the tree exactly as you would normally for winter. Most trees will root in 3 months or less, but do not be surprised if one takes longer. I had one Japanese black pine take 3 years to finally put out roots. I had an apple take 2 years. They were exceptions, but being patient rewarded me with roots. Majority will root in 12 to 16 weeks.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've done it both before and after foliage extension with equal success. I've found ground layering larger landscape stock without leaves obscuring the trunk base while I work to be quite helpful at getting it done quickly and correctly.

Top Bottom