Best time to air layer Japanese malpes

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a couple japanese maples in the yard that put on some major new growth last year. However the gowth is only on one side so it needs to be pruned back. I can easily do an air layer on these trees but wonder when is the best time to start one? Should I wait until all the leaves are out and hardened off? Should I wait until there is no chance of a late frost? You get the idea.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've done after hardening off. I've also done as buds are opening. Both work, but I don't have to worry about a late freeze.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Same here. Both as buds swell and after hardening off. I have had success with both.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Dav4 @MACH5
When doing it before bud break, have you found the amount of time until severing to be the same (month or two, of course species specific) or are you still having to wait until late summer-fall to remove? I only ask because I've always done it when hardened off, and I feel like I'm always cutting it close to get it potted and a little established before first frost.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Dav4 @MACH5
When doing it before bud break, have you found the amount of time until severing to be the same (month or two, of course species specific) or are you still having to wait until late summer-fall to remove? I only ask because I've always done it when hardened off, and I feel like I'm always cutting it close to get it potted and a little established before first frost.
I have had a better root production when waiting until the leaves have hardened off rather than earlier during bud break. I would speculate that with the leaves hardened off there is greater sugar production from more photosynthesis and less reliance on stored sugar to regrow roots and establish the new foliage. However, this is probably pretty dependant on the condition of each tree being air layered and as noted above the length of the growing season. Shorter season it might be better to feed the tree heavily the year before and then air layer at bud break knowing the tree has greater reserves than usual.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Riversedgebonsai
That makes sense to me, I'm just trying to figure out if doing before bud break would equal more time in a pot before winter.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Riversedgebonsai
That makes sense to me, I'm just trying to figure out if doing before bud break would equal more time in a pot before winter.
It has not for me. I always protect an airlayer from freezing the first winter
Regardless of how quickly the roots formed after all they are still new shoots and less storage capacity for reserves in the tree. Hope this clarifies my comments if my answer before was not clear. Best in Bonsai
Frank

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
@Dav4 @MACH5
Here in GA, I’m separating the layer by the end of June regardless of the timing.
I should also mention all these layers in this thread, https://bonsainut.com/threads/go-big-or-go-home.26917/, froze solid multiple times this past winter- actually saw 10F several times and stayed below freezing for at least a week- and are growing just fine now... less then a year after the layers were separated.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here in GA, I’m separating the layer by the end of June regardless of the timing.
I should also mention all these layers in this thread, https://bonsainut.com/threads/go-big-or-go-home.26917/, froze solid multiple times this past winter- actually saw 10F several times and stayed below freezing for at least a week- and are growing just fine now... less then a year after the layers were separated.
Ah yes the climate difference! I try to start air layers on maples no later than June 1st. However some years that is difficult:cool: Heavy frosts often occur until late in May.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Ah yes the climate difference! I try to start air layers on maples no later than June 1st. However some years that is difficult:cool: Heavy frosts often occur until late in May.
Yes, climate is everything with the timing of these things. In my yard, potted maples are waking up in February, and most have completely leafed out by mid March. I can start layers in February/March and have a plastic bag full of roots by the end of May, regardless of exactly when the layering was done. Also, my summers are consistently humid enough to minimize transpiration stress on the newly separated layers.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had pretty good success with starting my layers around Father's day, actually had a certain Japanese maple ready to sever in about 6 weeks and a crape myrtle ready in less than 30 days. But I have a blood good still going since Father's day of 2016, finally put out one root last summer...

Sorry @Cofga, wasn't trying to hijack your thread, but like you (I think) I'm trying to figure out what the advantages are for doing an air layer earlier than summer.

Top Bottom