Best time to collect cherry.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I noticed some of what appear to be Yoshino Japanese cherry trees growing wild the other day, that were all flowered out by a pond I walk by on occasion. I was wondering since its probably too late to dig them out now seeing as they're flowering and active, what time of the year would be best now. I would like to preferably wait until next spring (assuming they have a sufficient root ball to be excavated to begin with), but the area they are located is highly traveled by people walking by/fishing so I kind of worry about them being trampled or snapped if I wait until next year. I only have a small amount of experience with collecting wild specimens so any help on timing would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

The foliage seems to just be starting to form, so collecting before the foliage breaks isn't possible this year. That why I was wondering if it would be too detrimental to the tree if i was to collect it when its further along once the leaves harden off???

Last edited:
You can successfully collect any time of the year if you take enough time and care. After the leaves come out that often means taking a large root ball and burlaping it before you move the tree so the roots are hardly disturbed. That takes a lot of work and some skill so you may want to wait. After the trees go dormant in the fall is also a good time so you don't have to wait until next spring.

Back
Top Bottom