Best time to collect pines

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have my eyes on an eastern white pine to collect this year. As far as I can tell early spring would be most appropriate.

Based on Vance's work mugos and scots pines should be collected in the summer.

In Nick Lenz's book he states that pitch pine can be collected any time the foliage is not soft. That would indicate that early spring, mid to late summer and fall are acceptable. I'm sure fall collection would depend greatly on adequate winter protection.

What of other pines? The old stand by is spring collection but is this always the best?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I usally always collect in spring for pines, and most everything else. Though last fall I did collect two pines as a test and they where planted in the ground with no other protection other then that and both are doing fine. I collected a pitch pine last spring and it did wonderful.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always collect pines in the spring before the candles are doing anything. I do everything I can to not allow the roots to refreeze in the spring.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Summer/fall (i.e, after the summer solstice) is as good a time as spring. Elongation is done, folage is hardened and productive, and roots will recover quickly from pruning/damage.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I believe collecting depends on the kind of root wad you are getting and after care. Pried from a rock pocket with a compact root system--nearly anytime not soft with simple aftercare but no freezing. Dug from open ground, or worse yet, sand or gravel--good luck--needs more misting and careful soil monitoring and endless transitioning. Most importantly, super course media is very important, such as pumice, 3# Perlite, etc..

Top Bottom