Best time to cut down a maple

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a sugar maple that's about 1.5" in diameter now, and I want to cut it down to approximately 5 or 6 inches high. What's the best time of year to do that? Thanks in advance.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The search box is your friend.

Is there a name for that procedure? I know it's pruning, but it's not regular pruning. You're whacking the whole tree. I know root pruning is best done in the spring after the buds break, but before the leaves unfold. Should the whacking be done before any growth shows? Like late Feb? (I'm in zone 6b) Not sure what search criteria to use. I'm obviously really new to this. Thanks.

Last edited:

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Look up "maple trunk chop" both here and on google - You will have lots of reading material. Also check "silver maple bonsai" most people say it is bad bonsai stock. Also. check your private messages.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had good experience doing it 3 weeks after leaf drop in the fall on trident maples. Other might tell you different. I do it that time of year to fit in winter storage. There may be a better time.

bennybenben

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Winter

Do it in the winter when the leafs fall off and in the winter and the sap of the tree and nutrients are in the roots so you wont harm the tree. I think?

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Most authors online seem to agree that late winter/early spring, before bud break, is the time to do it, if you want coarse growth with long internodes, which, I would think would be the case here, if we're choosing a new leader branch for taper.

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Correct, if you are building the trunk chop before buds break. If you are refining branches and/or apex cut after leaves harden off. I don't know if you have yet but check out all the writings at Evergreen garden works. Lots of good stuff.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Correct, if you are building the trunk chop before buds break. If you are refining branches and/or apex cut after leaves harden off. I don't know if you have yet but check out all the writings at Evergreen garden works. Lots of good stuff.
I have read much of their stuff, but it's hard to absorb so much info, so it would pay to revisit the site and go back over the articles.

Top Bottom