Best Time to repot Azaleas?

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just grabbed a couple azaleas from a big box on clearance. 1 gallon pots for $8. No flowering .
I've only begun done pines and junipers 'til now.
I have a few yard specimens that I have had done very well with and great blooms for a number of years

They where very dehydrated and one is a little "leggy".
Soil is questionable.
Water and shade for now. Repot now or wait 'til fall?
Post pics tomorrow.
Advice?

Oh, and how do I identify as satsuki or US domestic cultivars?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
How to identify Satsuki vs Other hybrids - name tag, use Google to look up the cultivar's name. Usually one of the guys will help you sort it out. Satsuki are generally zone 7 - 8, do if it is sold as zone 4 or 5 hardy, it is not a Satsuki. There are a few zone 6 Satsuki, that's where confusion lies.

The distinction between Satsuki and other azalea is not totally clear. And frankly, for bonsai purposes, if the azalea has small leaves, is capable of fine branching, good ramification, and medium to smaller flowers, the distinction is not that important. But if like the flower of an azalea, buy it. Do keep the name tag, the pedigree can yield valuable info at some point.

When is the best time to repot? Tuesday.
Seriously, azalea are pretty forgiving. EXCEPT - a tree that has been weakened by missed watering needs to recover before repotting. Probably best to repot next spring. Don't let it flower, repot in spring.

No pruning - leggy is okay after near death drying out. After repotting, and healthy growth has returned, then you can take care of "leggy".

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just grabbed a couple azaleas from a big box on clearance. 1 gallon pots for $8. No flowering .
I've only begun done pines and junipers 'til now.
I have a few yard specimens that I have had done very well with and great blooms for a number of years

They where very dehydrated and one is a little "leggy".
Soil is questionable.
Water and shade for now. Repot now or wait 'til fall?
Post pics tomorrow.
Advice?

Oh, and how do I identify as satsuki or US domestic cultivars?

Bucky, generally, initial spring movement falls into two categories. Vegetative growth first or flower first. Satsuki has a short vegetative growth before flowering and kurume flowering before vegetative growth. Azaleas are one of the most hybridized ornamental plants so general guidelines are only that, general ;-)
Leo has given some good advice so next year note the early movement to give you a clue as to the genetics. Again, generally, the larger and rounder the leaves the less hardy. BUT-- Azaleas are all over the map in regard to genetics.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't let it flower, repot in spring.
So spring it is!
I'll put them on the same water schedule as the rest and partial shade for now. Fertilize at 1/2 strength for the rest of the season and keep my fingers crossed.
As they are on close-out for $8, I may go back for a couple more just in case some don't survive.
Thanks Guys!!
Buck.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If they have already bloomed, you can get a clue from looking at the remains of the blossoms. Generally speaking, satsuki and Kurume types will present a single flower, whereas American hybrids will typically present clusters of three or five blossoms at the end of a branch.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If they have already bloomed, you can get a clue from looking at the remains of the blossoms. Generally speaking, satsuki and Kurume types will present a single flower, whereas American hybrids will typically present clusters of three or five blossoms at the end of a branch.
These are definitely American hybrids. Tags are "Rhododendron x hybrid".
From previous responses, the satsuki are not cold tolerant enough for my zone. (6A) I wish they were. Would love to have some.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m in 5b. Mine go nighty-night in a small greenhouse with a couple of space heaters and a thermostat. When I had a failure in February and the temp hit -27 degrees outside, and 20 degrees inside, it was the satsuki that survived.

Top Bottom