Best tree for learning carving?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Carving can be pretty intidimating for new bonsai-ers. Most of us don't have any trees old enough to practice carving, and when we do run into a tree that warrants wood work, it can be hard to know even where to start. So what are some good tree species for practicing carving? Preferably a tree with wood that is easy to carve yet does not rot too easily and vigour to widthstand beginner mistakes in carving.

Any tips on carving are also welcome.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Go out in your yard and grab a big branch that fell out of a tree. Cut to size and carve away! That way you can get a feel for the process without damaging any living trees.
A good technique. I haven't done it for carving but I did practice raffia a while back on dead limbs and I have seen videos practicing wiring that way.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Wait until a neighbor you don't like goes on vacation, and redecorate his tree that keeps dropping sap, pine cones, needles, into your yard and gutters. Wear a reflective vest and hardhat so people think you're from the city or something.

Or, just grab a dremel kit and practice on some dry lumber and pruned branches.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think you get the advantage of frozen pots to work in.....but I like that advice, less root jostling.

All wood is different.

Screw Carving, I think it's a fad.

Sorce

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think the general consensus is, practice carving on dead trees.

Addressing the other half of the question on a LIVE practice tree that's vigorous and won't rot to easily, elms come to mind. The siberian elms that tend to be all over half the US will take any reasonable torture with pleasure, and and the wood isn't quick to rot. They're also easy to replace, hardly missed, and can still be made into some halfway decent bonsai.
Really, any tree that wouldn't be a shame to lose will do.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I think the general consensus is, practice carving on dead trees.

Addressing the other half of the question on a LIVE practice tree that's vigorous and won't rot to easily, elms come to mind. The siberian elms that tend to be all over half the US will take any reasonable torture with pleasure, and and the wood isn't quick to rot. They're also easy to replace, hardly missed, and can still be made into some halfway decent bonsai.
Really, any tree that wouldn't be a shame to lose will do.
I can attest to this. I have a couple Siberian Elms I yanked out of the ground caveman style that have been surviving on nothing but dog pee when I walk my dog by their pot. I feel like they're one of those plant species that thrive on abuse and will die when pampered.

Like this.

Top Bottom