best trees for root over rock

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I'm wanting to try a root over rock, what are some good species to use?
tridents don't do well here in wisconsin

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ficus work great, but obviously need to be indoors in winter. American elm will do well under almost any circumstance. They won't even notice the rock. Chinese elms is good, but also will need protection in your winter. Also pyracantha, olive, hmmmm most of my list are trees that will require protection in your winter.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zelkova can survive zone 5, though in a pot they’d need a little bit of winter protection. They do quite well on rocks.

You’d also have to be careful with culture and growth habit to ensure the twigs develop enough strength to not die back over the winter. It’s very possible, but just requires intention and planning.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amen Elms.

You need an abundance of the material you want to rockup.

One tree and one rock is one in a million.

Have 100 seedlings and 10 rocks and you'll find perfection in one.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Trident maple and ficus are the pinnacle of root over rock species as far as I'm concerned.
Ficus naturally grow on rocks and cliff faces so are naturally adapted to manage and the style suits the tree.
Both species roots grow and thicken quickly so you'll get that merging of root and rock that may take many more years with other species. both also relatively quick growing so you can get results in a single lifetime. Both are easy to work with and ramify quickly and easily.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I started a root over rock dwarf schefflera this spring. Though I haven't seen this species in this style, I think it will work well. It forms thick aerial roots easily.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Junipers are often used for root over rock, yet they seldom get the fused, adhere to the rock look. I would say junipers are a poor choice.

Hornbeam and Otsrya seem to fuse well. Amir maple will fuse well.

Hinoki I believe would work well, but their a intermediate to advanced skill level tree, not an easy species long term.

Satsuki azalea have a reasonable long history of being used for root over rock.

Key is, to get the fully fused to the rock look, you start with young material and grow it on or with the rock for many years. When matching the tree with the rock, be sure the rock is large enough to look in proportion with the future mature & larger tree. Difficult to get right.

Top Bottom