Best Tropical in 5th US National - My learning experience in a big show

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Just got home last night or should I say this morning, 1+a.m. I downloaded photos at the 5th US National Bonsai Exhibition to my desktop; and am posting my Tiger Bark Ficus which won the Best Tropical Award and my wife's kusamono which won the Bonsai Travel Award for best companion plant. Since I just woke up, I will just post the photos of our entry and write my learning experience later, need to catch up some ZZZZ..

At the staging area:
IMG_6693-001.JPG

Joe Noga taking photos for the commemorative album; Joe came up from N Carolina and is a wonderful man and a photographer.
IMG_6697-001.JPG

This one is cropped from a wider shot of Joe in action:
IMG_6694-006.JPG

Set up on Thursday:
IMG_6708-003.JPG

My wife's kusamono accompanying this ficus.
IMG_6709-001.JPG

Nearly all trees are set up by Friday noon.

IMG_6838.JPG

A lot of beautiful trees! Met old and new friends, some from forum or Facebook. Will write later about my learning lessons from well artists' suggestions and critiques.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I know your winter must be short, but what do you do with it during cold temps?

It really is a stunning tree (and accent plant!)

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
I know your winter must be short, but what do you do with it during cold temps?

It really is a stunning tree (and accent plant!)
Thanks Joe. I put all the ficus and tropicals in two 10x10 portable greenhouses. In the summer I moved the frames and put shade cloths to cut down the sunlight.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting - a beautiful effort, visually, very rewarding.

Learning experience - Questions

Soil Mix ?

Response to being defoliated - boost before defoliating ?

Sub-tropical tree ?
China - zone 9 for this Ficus type ?

Does not do do as well on our side - no true rest ?

Ask Chuah lots of questions ?
Learn ?
The man has mastered his tree.
Good Day
Anthony

* Hey, I live in the desert, I wonder why my maple is ill ----- Maples grew evolving in moist valleys - Blocking the sun does not
stop dry air, nor will soils designed to hold water for long periods of time.
That is what killed our Trident -------- soil was too wet.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Incredible! Sorce
Congratulations
Ask question...
Thank you. I will first post what I learned from various critques and opinions by friends and masters at the show.

1. The trunk and the overall tree shape suggest an old tree, would be nice to show it in a more antique looking pot. Yes, I thought about artificially ageing the pot a couple of weeks ago by immersing the pot in a mild acid bath to subdue the shine, and rub with shoe polish. This is one way how unscrupulous antique dealers fake old porcelain. I think humic acid would also work since it stained my pots when I used it to supplement the fertilizer. Perhaps Ironite will also work. I did not for fear of screwing it up. Some of you might have read my previous post sorting opinion on pot selection, it is hard to find a right size and color pot. This one is 21.5" wide, and it comes from my good friend Yvonne Padilla, all the way from Corpus Christi. Thanks to all who suggested, especially Redwood Ryan, who photoshopped the cream pot with the tree for better visualization.

2. A darker or black color stand would be better for the tree to stand out. The thickness of the stand is also on the heavy side. I tossed back and forth whether to spend big bucks to custom make a stand or not. Did not! I just wanted to participate and did not shoot for winning, so just used an old stand I have. Other comment I received is, so you loose some points in the presentation, (meaning: a so so stand) but it is the tree that counts.

3. The size of the kusamono matches the tree, not stealing the attention. Its total height is at the height of the stand, and that is good. The kusamono also looks natural and wild, not like it was planted a week ago from nursery plants.

4. The tree and kusamono combination is simple and effective. I did bring two scrolls but did not use them. My thought was with a long scroll it would cram the display. In this case, less is better.

5. The left lowest branch could be trimmed back a bit, making it less pointy. Fully agreed. This is a display perspective problem I encountered. If you face the tree directly, the left lowest branch, though slightly more pointy and longer than the right one, the pointiness is not obvious, please see earlier post photo with a black background. But when we stand in the center of the display and when not far away enough, we view the tree at an angle. The left branch looks more elongated. In most local club show, space is limited, but this one is a 6-foot wide table; the main tree and accent are set further apart and that give a different perspective.

6. Leave size is appropriate for ficus of this size. Tree is about 20" tall and 36" wide.

7. The leaves are layered but are arranged more naturally with ups and down. Ficus in some shows are layered too neatly with very distinct pads.

I think these are what I remembered.

In preparation, I should have left the thicker wires on the branch until the last minute. I removed them too early. Some secondary branches began to grow upwards or perhaps spring back too much as the tree continued to grow. Below is a photo of the tree about 3 weeks before the show. It looks more covered with lower secondary branches.

IMG_6649.JPG

Anthony, I had previously posted in blog the progressive work on this tree and how to build nebari and trunk. I am in zone 9. Ficus microcarpa does not need winter rest, it grows rampant in Indonesia, Malaysia etc. right in the tropic. For training I used 70% expanded shale and 30% composted soil conditioner. Ficus likes a lot of sun, water and fertilizer. I fertilize with chicken manure in tea bags, and supplemented with liquid kelp and humic acid for other micro nutrients. I also foliar feed , perhaps once a month with very dilute, 1/4 teaspoon/gal water of Monty's Joice Juice.

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for sharing the critique, Hoe. I always learn a lot from those. I went to four display critiques with three different artists, but I didn't see a critique of your tree.

Scott

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is interesting to see how much the pot changes color from photo to photo. I think I like the color in the last photo the best (a cream / light tan). What color is it?

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the critique, Hoe. I always learn a lot from those. I went to four display critiques with three different artists, but I didn't see a critique of your tree.

Scott
Bjorn did a very good critique of the tree. Soon (my wife) asked Suthin for suggestions during Friday's set up, he did and asked Soon to tilt the manzanita slab slightly clockwise to show more of the slab's surface and rough bark while keeping the kusamono at the same angle. Interestingly, Soon and Suthin's ancestries are Teochew from southern China, in fact from neighboring counties, so they spoke the same dialect. When she thanked Suthin, he replied in dialect "kaki nang", meaning "we are our own people" sort of like paisano. Small world! Sergio Cuan also made valuable suggestions and moved the kusamono slightly forward to balance the display. Other new and old friends at the show also share their thoughts. All are very valuable and well thought out. To hear different perspectives is the best learning experience in a large show like this, a leap forward beyond my own confined paradigm having worked on the tree for too long.

Oh, I also asked Bjorn whether it is better to put the tree on the right instead of leff, he said left like ai had always done before.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
It is interesting to see how much the pot changes color from photo to photo. I think I like the color in the last photo the best (a cream / light tan). What color is it?

It is cream color. The lighting conditions at three separate indoor locations change the colors of the pot and tree. I used a point and shoot camera in jpeg format, the professionals shoot with RAW format so they can correct lighting later on. The last photo is outdoor, probably truer to the actual color.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Congratulations to both of you! It's great to see a tree win an award that has been with the owner for many years of dedicated work. Your talent and skill displayed well. Mighty fine!

Top Bottom