Best way to find cultivars online?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am thinking a search engine where you put in the species name and it spits out all known cultivars. I am sure there must be some good ones.
Main concern is learning the names at all to be able to investigate further
Currently looking for pseudocydonia sinensis and celtis sinensis varieties

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Google

yes, you get a lot of garbage too, but you can find what you want to know if you take the time to dig.

I find Wikipedia a good starting point. It's not the "end source of all knowledge" but it will get you started.

With both species, the Chinese quince and the Chinese Celtis, (redbuds) if you really want to have an exhaustive list of all known cultivars you need to be able to search in Chinese. You won't find all the cultivars if you limit yourself to English and or European languages. The Royal Botanic Garden at Kew maintains a database of "known species and cultivars" of "all plants of horticultural significance" but in the curious arrogance of 19th century Kew, they have been real slow to include data from non-European languages. Their website is atrocious to find anything, but it is really linked through the main portal, you just have to dig, and dig and dig.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Couldnt find anything good on RHS or otherwise. Theres various synonyms and one uninteresting cultivar for the celtis. But I also found out the natural distribution of the celtis does not go below zone 8, so I will be cautious about getting one
I once used a nice site like Im looking for to browse punica and that worked well, but since then I forgot where it was

Generally, I do check Wikipedia, Youtube (and comment sections on relevant videos) and 1 or 2 search engines with their results

Maybe I will resort to seedling selection for the pseudocydonia

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Attachments

• 20201129_181248.jpg
    20201129_181248.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200906_155353.jpg
    20200906_155353.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 14

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Couldnt find anything good on RHS or otherwise. Theres various synonyms and one uninteresting cultivar for the celtis. But I also found out the natural distribution of the celtis does not go below zone 8, so I will be cautious about getting one
I once used a nice site like Im looking for to browse punica and that worked well, but since then I forgot where it was

Generally, I do check Wikipedia, Youtube (and comment sections on relevant videos) and 1 or 2 search engines with their results

Maybe I will resort to seedling selection for the pseudocydonia
Im not sure exactly what youre looking for but RHS come up with 4 Pseudocydonia and 53 Celtis- how many more do you actually need LOL!!

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Im not sure exactly what youre looking for but RHS come up with 4 Pseudocydonia and 53 Celtis- how many more do you actually need LOL!!
🤦‍♂️ It's literally just the species, 2 synonyms and one entry just says "Pseudocydonia" and nothing else.
I dont think I'll be getting any Celtis, the coldest part of their native range is zone 8 and I dont protect my trees in Winter

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
🤦‍♂️ It's literally just the species, 2 synonyms and one entry just says "Pseudocydonia" and nothing else.
I dont think I'll be getting any Celtis, the coldest part of their native range is zone 8 and I dont protect my trees in Winter
There are plenty of other Hackberry or Celtis. There are at least two species in the US and a Chinese one I have been growing a few years in zone 6.

Top Bottom