Best way to make nebari in clump

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
here's my current method, but it'll be about 5-6 years before I can report back with results:
I thought something like that would take 50-60 years instead since how far apart those are . But I can’t wait to see !

faker

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I thought something like that would take 50-60 years instead since how far apart those are . But I can’t wait to see !
It'll definitely be much longer than 5 years before it's anything worth looking at, but I'm hoping for a fused root base by then.

Here's a post from Gary Wood (@garywood I think?) showing a trident 6 years out, though he cut it back to a single trunk: http://thingsofwood-gary.blogspot.com/2011/12/trident-building-process.html

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I get good results by threading seedlings through holes in metal plate.
IMGP8455.JPGIMGP8457.JPGIMGP8459.JPGtrident root through plate year 2 06.JPGtrident root through plate year 2 09.JPGtrident root through plate year 2 14.JPGtrident root through plate year 2 18.JPG

Fusion is quick and permanent when the callus caused by the trunks swelling in the holes meet.
New roots are always horizontal across the plate.
New roots are usually right round the perimeter but sometimes I get one sided roots.
Trunk development is the biggest failure factor. Clumps look best with the central tree larger and thicker but outer trees frequently get larger as they have access to more resources. Need to monitor through the development process.
Direction of trunks is important. Try to arrange all trunks moving out from the centre from the start. Intervene with spacers or pruning where one or more trunks are leaning in undesirable direction because after they thicken and fuse it is hard to move them.

Multi trunk is not as easy as it appears. All trunks need to have good taper. All trunks need different size and thickness in proportion. All trunks need to conform in shape and lean. Branches then need to be in the right places on those trunks.
If you have tried to develop a single trunk and been frustrated because one or more factors don't come together then multiply that difficulty factor by the number of trunks in the clump to gauge how difficult clump style can be. My advice is start several to allow for the higher failure rates.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I get good results by threading seedlings through holes in metal plate.
View attachment 356390View attachment 356391View attachment 356392View attachment 356393View attachment 356394View attachment 356395View attachment 356396

Fusion is quick and permanent when the callus caused by the trunks swelling in the holes meet.
New roots are always horizontal across the plate.
New roots are usually right round the perimeter but sometimes I get one sided roots.
Trunk development is the biggest failure factor. Clumps look best with the central tree larger and thicker but outer trees frequently get larger as they have access to more resources. Need to monitor through the development process.
Direction of trunks is important. Try to arrange all trunks moving out from the centre from the start. Intervene with spacers or pruning where one or more trunks are leaning in undesirable direction because after they thicken and fuse it is hard to move them.

Multi trunk is not as easy as it appears. All trunks need to have good taper. All trunks need different size and thickness in proportion. All trunks need to conform in shape and lean. Branches then need to be in the right places on those trunks.
If you have tried to develop a single trunk and been frustrated because one or more factors don't come together then multiply that difficulty factor by the number of trunks in the clump to gauge how difficult clump style can be. My advice is start several to allow for the higher failure rates.
Bjorn didn’t mention any of that in his video, you should try his wire tourniquet method

283C4E75-FE53-4530-8B44-576D95FF8855.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I used the tubing and wire for my chojubai quince. I've not repotted them. But I secured them so they didn't move.
its only had 2 years of development. Started with 5 cuttings from Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks. Mine isn't a traditional clump...but a clump cascade.
20210217_105544.jpg

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I’m trying to get sango kaku seedlings for a clump since that would just look amazing . Also still looking for kishu or iotgawa. I’m gonna try the wire and tube method today and wait 20+ years lol. I really like @Shibui method since those trees are more of a forest with amazing nebari . I like Bjorns tree and he started when he was around my age when he did.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I’m trying to get sango kaku seedlings for a clump since that would just look amazing . Also still looking for kishu or iotgawa. I’m gonna try the wire and tube method today and wait 20+ years lol. I really like @Shibui method since those trees are more of a forest with amazing nebari . I like Bjorns tree and he started when he was around my age when he did.
Great! I will set a reminder to access your progress resource on the EarthWeb via my Trinity-Link™ cranial implant in 2041!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry...need my coffee. Misread that.

Ribbit

Seed
Reaction score
Actually...it will be 2 years fall 2021. I didn't assemble this until fall. Though it arrived as 5 cuttings spring that year.
Were these the 2 or 4 inch pots originally? Do you think it matters either way? Thanks

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Using tubing on wire defeats the purpose. Use larger wire if its just being grown over

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I do not disagree with any of the methods described, but it seems that the most obvious one has been overlooked. Choose a species that naturally grows as a clump or can be persuaded to do so with a little help. Find a specimen with a nebari that is suitable and chop the trunk immediately above the nebari. Thin and train the sprouts as desired.

Top Bottom