Best way to preserve deadwood on my flowering princess earring acacia ?

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I recently picked up this little mame flowering princess earring. It is acclimating nicely and there is some new growth. One section appears to have some deadwood and I think it looks good despite not being a conifer. Just curious what products you all use, I saw there is a natural wood preserver sold but just wanted some insight from more experienced bonsai people. Thanks 2224B821-745F-4B73-9A36-66F52B60372E.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Lime sulfur is the traditional wood preserver used on bonsai. It slows rot and bleaches the dead wood. needs to be applied several times each year.
Earl's wood hardener is a modern product used by wood workers and now adopted by some bonsai growers to harden and preserve dead wood. I have not used that one so cannot provide any info.

You will need to strip the bark off the dead section so the actual wood can be treated. When the bark is gone the dead section will be much thinner and you might reconsider keeping it. An alternative is just to enjoy the dead section as it is for as long as it lasts then reconsider the design without dead section.

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lime sulfur is the traditional wood preserver used on bonsai. It slows rot and bleaches the dead wood. needs to be applied several times each year.
Earl's wood hardener is a modern product used by wood workers and now adopted by some bonsai growers to harden and preserve dead wood. I have not used that one so cannot provide any info.

You will need to strip the bark off the dead section so the actual wood can be treated. When the bark is gone the dead section will be much thinner and you might reconsider keeping it. An alternative is just to enjoy the dead section as it is for as long as it lasts then reconsider the design without dead section.
Thanks for your response. I didn’t want to use lime sulfur because I would rather avoid making the deadwood white.

I did see this product and it seems promising, I read some good reviews just figured I’d ask before I do anything.

Deadwood Preserver

Have you heard of this product ?

Either way I’m fine just enjoying how it looks now and redesign is always an option like you said, I will need to repot it soon anyways so I’ll get a good look at everything then.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Deadwood Preserver

Have you heard of this product ?
First time I have heard or seen this one so I have not had any experience. The sales pitch is good so I would consider trying it for a few years to see what results are like. Also interested in hearing from anyone who has tried it.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
if these are indoor trees your results will be far different to another who keeps their trees outdoors exposed to the elements. the product does what it says on the tin. there are many wood preservers on the market now, spoilt for choice really.

best way to preserve? apply solution with a fine paint brush, follow instructions on label😉

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
outdoors exposed to the elements. the product does what it says on the tin. there are many wood preservers on the market now, spoilt for choice really.

if these are indoor trees your results will be far different to another who keeps their trees outdoors exposed to the elements. the product does what it says on the tin. there are many wood preservers on the market now, spoilt for choice really.

best way to preserve? apply solution with a fine paint brush, follow instructions on label😉
Well I am aware there are many that is why I was hoping somebody with more would share their personal experience and which products they like best for the type of tree I mentioned lol. I am aware products have instructions ;)

Top Bottom