best way to root my very young rough bark trident maple cutting

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
I have an Evergreens Rough Bark Maple thats about 2 years old. The trunk is horrible in shape but its growing in the ground outside with 2 shoots that go straight up 45 degrees from each other that I could utilize for a nice new plant if I take them as a cutting. In thicknes they are about 1/8" at most. But at least 10 pair of buds in length 14 inches long. Leaves are turnign a beautiful red autumn color. So-questions
1. best time to cut off the shoots for cuttings-- now(fall) Winter January, Spring-March, or Summer June?
2 Cut 1/4 inch below the bottom bud ok--yes or no?
3 Should I root them in a glass of water ? or over night at all?
4 any light scraping at the bottom cambium layer where i made the cut ?
5 I have those tall tree pots 4" square by 11inches deep and HP Pro mix soil .Is this best or should I opt for 100% perlite?
6 can I wrap parafilm tape over the top exposed buds to hold the humidity in or do I need to have a humidity dome over the cutting?
Anything else -best rooting hormone needed?
Incidentally I tried air layering first and failed 2 times. I used my favorite spagnhum moss and cut a 1/2" girdle width and all I got after a few months was a thickenign bulge callous real warty looking as it self healed. Tried again with a wider girdling over an inch wide and it did it again self healed after a few months.This was during summer in ground. !!!

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
The trunk is horrible in shape but its growing in the ground outside with 2 shoots that go straight up 45 degrees from each other that I could utilize for a nice new plant if I take them as a cutting

You can try to take these as hardwood cuttings (i.e. take cuttings in March), but with Trident Maples the most common to way propagate is with softwood cuttings: cuttings taken in May-June, from new shoots that emerged that same spring (i.e. March to May, the 2-3 months prior).

That said, I have heard that rough bark tridents are difficult to propagate via cutting in general, and this is true in my experience. I have not tried Brent's strain myself, but I have the strain from Julian Adams and my success rate is less than 30% with softwood cuttings (and 0% with hardwood cuttings). I know good propagators with Brent's strain that see the similar success rates.

I propagate Trident Maples the same way that I propagate Japanese Maples:

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ive had success with semi-hardwood and hardwood cuttings, both in leaf. That wasnt rough bark though.
My dormant cuttings flush out but then seem to run out of nutrients, maybe one should take much larger cuttings, half a meter long

Top Bottom