Best weekend to collect

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Given my hardiness zone and region,can anyone advise on the best weekend for collecting coming , as this will be my first time!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good thing @M. Frary is back....

Don't read that wrong! 🤣

The weekend you're free!

Sorce

Given my hardiness zone and region,can anyone advise on the best weekend for collecting coming , as this will be my first time!
It's great to be back.
I never really left though.
Just a bad spell losing trees to weather again.

Living in zone 8 affords you a lot of weekends to collect.
I still would collect trees before the buds break.
Probably fairly soon for you a couple months for me.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I just noticed bud swelling on some landscape menace Acer Negundos last night..... so, for me, from.. *looks at watch and waits 8 seconds* NOW until bud burst..

1614174208423.gif

I suspect, that in zone 8.. you could’ve been collecting for a few weeks... gotta get out there!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm done with my collecting already. I would imagine in SC you should get out there asap. Edit - sorry, forgot about the recent polar vortex storms out east. Once you warm up to usual seasonal temps, have at it.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It depends on where you plan to collect. If down in the flats then now may not be too early as even buds up here are beginning to swell. But if you plan to hit sites in the upstate area near the NC border then it may be a month. I plan to hit the ridges of the NC/TN border in about a month if I can ever get the FS to issue me a new permit.

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for all the replies! Does this wisdom also hold for reporting?

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It depends on where you plan to collect. If down in the flats then now may not be too early as even buds up here are beginning to swell. But if you plan to hit sites in the upstate area near the NC border then it may be a month. I plan to hit the ridges of the NC/TN border in about a month if I can ever get the FS to issue me a new permit.
I’m right below Charlotte in SC

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for all the replies! Does this wisdom also hold for reporting?
Depends...I've some flowering that get repotted after bloom. My Satsuki azalea and forsythia for example. My tropical I shoot for summer. My dormant trees though most are at bud swell.

Top Bottom