Best zone 7b Maple cultivars

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi everyone.
I'm here in souther Germany looking forward to buy one or two small maple trees, for sake of diversity and make some more experience with the hobby.
I've been googling and googling for different species, trying to understand which of them might withstand the cold of our winters and the wetness of our midseasons.
For what I understood (from many different and incomplete sources) Acer Rubrum seems to be the one which roots tolerate soil humidity the best, and Acer Platanoides to be the fastest growing one.
There's also a beauty component in the decision that shall be considered as well (and Acer Palmatum may provide the most diversity of them all, but looks to be comparably slow growing.. 5to10cm a year).

So my question is the following:
If you were in a quite wet enviroment such as mine, looking for
1. A nice leaved maple cultivar
2. Wet tolerant
3. Fast growing

What would your choices be?
As always, thanks in advance

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
roots tolerate soil humidity the best

I live in 7B in North Carolina. Japanese Maples thrive here. During the summer it rains 2 out of every 3 days on average (June-August). As long as the soil isn't completely saturated, they do fine. In the case of a bonsai tree in decent soil, you should have no problem.

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I live in 7B in North Carolina. Japanese Maples thrive here. During the summer it rains 2 out of every 3 days on average (June-August). As long as the soil isn't completely saturated, they do fine. In the case of a bonsai tree in decent soil, you should have no problem.
Sounds great!
What kind of soil do you use for them?
I'm just ordering a 17Liter sack pumice, together with copper wire from Ibuki (found it's extremely competitive price - wise).
Do any of you guys have experience with the site?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I keep Field maple, Acer campestre, Trident Maple, Japanese maple and Feuer Ahorn, A Ginnela. No problems with any of these. The tridents might need a bit of protection in normal winters in Bayrn.

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Perfect quality. Cannot go wrong there.
But for maples I would recommend aluminium wire.

Thanks for the advice. I think I could even still modify the order.
At worst, I'll use it for something else.
What's the reason behind the wire choice?

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi ya'll again.
As everyone confirmed that Palmatums are doing pretty good in my zone, I went for two good looking cultivars in Katsura and Amagi Shigure (which looks to particularly like shade) and kinda stopped considering our climate an issue, per se.

The 2 couldn't be more different from one another, considering their development:
They were both growing in a 3L pot but the Katsura had a very low twin trunk with some vigorous ramification (I know almost all of it will have to go soon, as it is of no use).
The other looks much less developed with them 2 long stems and long internodes.
IMG_20201012_183353.jpg
They both displayed some crispness at the tip of their leaves, which led me to think it was some lack of sun due to the box they had been closed in for 1 week.
IMG_20201012_183456.jpgIMG_20201012_183417.jpg
On monday evening, as they arrived, I took a few pics, checked their soil moisture and put them outside with the other small Junipers/little olive/rosemary/apple.
IMG_20201017_105213.jpg

Since then, they only seem to get worse.
Temperatures have dropped quite drastically during the last 2 weeks and even though we haven't touched the 30F mark yet (4°C yet) I wonder whether the difference between their previous french and their actual german enviroment might be just too much stress for them young plants.
This is almost exaxtly what's left of the foliage, which doesn't look much nor healthy.

IMG_20201019_161520.jpgIMG_20201019_161457.jpg

As I mentioned in some post above, I have even ordered some akadama/pumice from Ibuki, but thought it might be too late for any root work and postponed it to next march/april.

To ask it in 'a few' words 😅😅
What the hell should I do, guys?

Top Bottom